chapter thirty two

Oakland's POV

We stood there in confusion, not understanding why our parents were so insistent on us being home right now. They knew we were out, we are always safe, and nothing to worry about.

I looked up at Harry, whose face looked just as puzzled as mine.

I redirected my gaze back on B, who was staring right through me.

"Did she sound mad?" I wondered, hoping that we weren't in trouble for anything.

"No... more distraught if anything." Byerly claimed.

I scratched the back of my neck, racking my brain for any reason for the need to be back at the house.

There was a giant LED light that showed the time up on the wall above the stage, which read 12:47am. I let out a sigh, knowing that it was still considered early in the night.

B's distraughtness really sobered me up quickly.

"Um... alright. Let's get going then." he nodded and clapped his hands together, already scanning over the crowd to find Mitch and Sarah.

I was glad that Harry wasn't angry with the fact of the matter, and that he seemed just as determined to get us home as we were. I riffled through the crowd, along with Harry and Byerly.

"Over here!" I heard Harry say from behind me.

I turned around, seeing him already in the direction towards his friends. They seemed to be having a good time, just as Harry and I were, but we are about to have to break it all up.

"Hey guys!" Harry had to shout over the loud DJ's music.

They flipped their heads at us, smiling when they saw us in their direction, but their faces falling the second they registered our emotions.

"What's up?" Mitch asked the second we got closer.

"They gotta get home." Harry nodded in my sister and I's direction.

"Sorry, our mom's freaking out about something." Byerly spoke up.

I looked up at Harry, catching his eyes. "We can leave them here, you can come back and get them so that they don't have to leave too." I offered, feeling bad for already ruining Harry's night, and not wanting to reciprocate it onto them.

"Oh, no. it's fine, we'll come." Sarah's sweet voice spoke.

"Are you sure?" Harry asked.

They both nodded genuinely, already ready to head towards the exit. We all squeezed through the people, and as we passed the bar, Harry slapped down a few big bills to pay the tab on the shots we took earlier.

I shoved open the giant door, instantly feeling a gust of cool summer winds blow my, now down, hair out of my face. As we walked towards the car, Harry felt around his pockets searching for the keys. The second his hand grasped them, he hit the unlock button, and we all climbed in.

It didn't feel right to play music right now, so I opted for just listening to whatever was on the radio at this time. I turned the volume low, allowing there to only be a soft hum from the speakers.

We drove in silence, not a single peep from anyone in the car. I caught myself subconsciously tapping my foot against the floor board only when I felt Harry's hand rest on my thigh. I looked up at him, seeing he was flicking his head back and forth between me and the road.

He gave me a soft smile, letting his thumb rub against the skin on my leg. The little things he does always seem to calm me down.

He mouthed a silent 'it will be okay' to me, instantly slowing the pounding of my heart against my chest walls. I never really get into trouble with my parents, and even though Byerly has had her fair share of chastation, she wasn't acting like her normal 'I don't care' self like she usually does when she gets in trouble.