chapter one

July 11, 2020

The smell of the salty air.

All I can dream about. I get on a plane with my family tomorrow to head to Jamaica. Our annual summer vacations consist of my father trying to find the coolest places, and even cooler airbnbs to stay in.

Even though we live in a small town outside of Charleston, my family is anything but the ordinary southern people. My dad is in the music business and my mother is an artist.

My sister, Byerly, is my best friend, but she is moving to New York in 2 months. This trip is the last one I get to spend with her until she moves to the big city for her big girl job. She was a fashion major in college, and got a fashion marketing job with a huge business up north.

As for me? I'm trying to go to college for dance. My dream since I was just a child was to be a professional dancer, and I've been working my ass off to get into Pace University, which is a private liberal arts college in New York City.

I just finished packing my suitcase, and I put all of my carry-on things in my Kanken backpack. Sunglasses? Check. Camera? Check. Book? Check. Passport? Check.

"Oakland!" Byerly hollard from down the hall. She probably is about to come steal yet another one of my bathing suits.

She busted through my bedroom door, and without letting me catch my breath, she already was talking.

"Oak... imagine... cute, tan, surfer boys. We are about to have the best 2 weeks of our lives. Plus you are finally legal to drink!" she starts yammering on about the things she has been talking about for months.

"B. you are so caught up on these boys you don't even know will be there. Lets just enjoy the peace and serenity before you finally leave me to be stuck here with mom and dad alone." I say with the hopes of trying to snap her out of her imagination. "Plus, you know it will be hard to convince dad to let us go anywhere by ourselves. You know how he's crazy about us getting kidnapped." I add on.

"I know, I know. But a girl can dream can't she?" she whines, sauntering around my room lazily. She finally plops down on my beanbag in the corner. "I just want to have one of those fantasy vacations where I meet the love of my life, but it could never last because we leave too soon."

"Just keep dreaming B... now get out, I have to finish organizing everything." I say with annoyance flowing through my tone.

"Okay, okay, jeez bye." she stands up and leaves, not shutting my door completely, letting it drift back open.

"BYERLY ADELE! SHUT MY DOOR!" I screamed down the hall, but I heard her snicker while shutting her door. "I HATE YOU" I singally yelled as I stood up from my bed to shut the door, correctly.

I huff as I walk towards my stuffed suitcase, overflowing with flowy dresses and tiny cropped tops. I should really consolidate what I'm bringing, but I can't part with anything I already packed. I sit on the top of the suitcase, attempting to finally get it shut. I finally get the zipper closed and lay down on my carpet. Almost broke a sweat, because I have an obsession with clothes.

I put everything I am bringing on the plane tomorrow in the corner of my room, with my backpack sitting on top of my rolling suitcase, and I slid my computer in the back pocket of the bag. I turned off my overhead light and blew out my candle so I could go to sleep. I set my alarm for 4:30am, and put on some white noise.

The faster I go to sleep, the sooner I'll wake up.

-------

The sound of my alarm will forever haunt my dreams. I've never been a morning person, but I got out of bed easier than usual because I have my vacation on my mind. I left my room to go knock on Byerly's door, because even though I'm not a morning person, she is 10 times worse than I.