chapter sixteen

Harry's POV

What. are. The. odds.

Of course with my luck, she would show up here when I was with Oakland. She pulled me into a hug, as I stood there, straight as a board, not knowing what to do. I wasn't expecting this whatsoever, so I was at a mental block with how to handle seeing someone I'd expected never to see again.

She kept her arms around my neck, looking at me with big, doll-like, brown eyes as if she didn't feel the tension that was radiating between everyone.

"What are you doing here? We seem to not be able to miss each other." Sloan asked me with a flirtatious tone dripping from her lips. It was as if her entire head was filled with air, and she couldn't pick up on how uninterested I was. I peeled her arms from my shoulders, dropping them before responding.

"I know. What are the odds." I said with facetious sarcasm. "I'm here with my friends, Sloan." a monotone attitude flowing out of my mouth. My face stayed flat, showing no sign of interest or wanting to exceed this conversation any farther. Trying to hint to her that she should leave us be, but she couldn't pick up on it, lingering around causing an uncomfortable energy. I looked behind her, meeting eyes with Oakland who looked like she was just slapped across the face.

I know I just called her a friend, and it hurt me just as much to do so, but I couldn't call her by any other title. That's all we were as of right now. Friends. We couldn't exceed anything else, because she would soon inevitably leave, and I wouldn't see her again.

But that was the problem.

I didn't want her to ever leave. I haven't felt this way for a girl ever, there was a connection that I couldn't quite explain. She understood me, and my heart felt a bond with hers. She looked so hurt by what was going on, and I just needed to explain myself.

Sloan turned around, meeting eyes with everyone's distraught ones. Mitch looked like she was going to punch me, which I rightfully deserved, Sarah just looked confused, and Oakland looked like she had just met eyes with Medusa and was turned to stone.

"Hi! I'm Sloan! I don't think we've met!" she greeted herself to Oakland, ignoring all of the signs that everyone was giving off for her to leave. She looked directly at Oakland, as if she were trying to size her up. I was just about to step in as I heard Oakland open her mouth.

"I-.. um" Oakland stuttered, still in shock. I could tell that Sloan reached out to her personally, because she had already seen Mitch and Sarah with me in the past. My heart wants to reach out to Oakland so that I could explain everything, even though I already told her about what happened, minus one detail.

"We should get going, bye Sloan." I said, ending the awkward tension even though I knew I would be getting chewed out once I got home, because Mitch was somewhat of a father figure to me.

I began to walk around her, going straight for Oakland to smooth this over, when Sloan placed her palm on my chest, looking up at me with those same brown eyes. "Wait," she stopped me.

She gripped my shoulders to whisper something in my ear. "I think I left something at your house from Thursday." It was less of a whisper, as if she wanted the rest of the group to hear what she was saying. I furrowed my brows at her words, which quickly softened at the realisation of what she said. She mentioned Thursday, which was only three days ago, not the first day we arrived.

I was going to tell Oakland about everything, but we were interrupted during dinner, which caused it to be put on the backburner. Guilt was rising in my chest as I looked up, meeting eyes with Oakland's bright blue ones that looked as if she were just punched in the chest. I opened my mouth to speak, but instantly shut it, since I didn't know what to say. I couldn't tell if she picked up on what was said, or just hurt by seeing this girl in person. I know I would be hurt to see someone who is to Oakland as Sloan is to me in person, so she has all the right to be feeling betrayed.