chapter twenty six

Oakland's POV

"What the fuck!"

I was startled awake by my sister barging into my room. I had my forearm resting over my eyes, laying on my back, and not moving from the position I fell asleep in. I barely even remember falling asleep, but after the eventful morning I had, it was much needed.

"Huh?" I responded in a groggy voice, not moving.

"You disappeared! And Harry is missing too!" she seemed pissed, but rightfully so, since I really did just up and leave briskly. "I had a heart attack, Oak. I thought you were kidnapped or something."

I finally sat up, resting my back against the headboard. "I'm so sorry, Harry and I got in a really bad fight- wait Harry is missing?"

"Yeah, Sarah just texted me saying that he wasn't back at their house, so I thought he was with you, but he isn't. What Happened? Y'all just disappeared." she said, putting her head in her hand.

"L-long story." I ended up saying.

"Are you okay? Peanut, Your eyes are red and puffy." She finally looked up at me, her eyes wide and full of worry. She rushed to my side, saying in distress.

I guess I still look as rough as I did when I got back. "Yeah, I guess I'm fine..." I looked down at my hands, and shook my head. "No.... no I'm not fine." I responded, feeling my bottom lip start to tremble again.

She climbed onto the bed right next to me, "hey, hey what happened?" she asked, taking her energy down into a calming whisper.

"Ha-Harry was u-using me." I tried to spit out, but my emotions got the best of me, and I began to cry again. I feel like an emotional wreck, and I never let myself show my feelings, so this felt very rare for me. I am so disappointed in myself for letting it all out. This is so embarrassing for me.

"What are you talking about?" she asked, wrapping her arm around my shoulder and softly rubbing her hand up and down my arm.

I sat there for a few seconds, collecting my thoughts. "I saw these texts between him and his manager, saying that I should be kept around for his album." I finally calmed myself down enough to say.

She sat there with her eyebrows knit together while I glued my vision to my hands in my lap. She didn't speak for a moment, finally piping up, "that might not be what he means-" she tried to play devil's advocate, but I cut her off.

"B, I always had a sneaking suspicion about that being true. Jeff said it to my face basically a few days ago." I rushingly said, still analyzing the event that happened in the living room not so long ago. "I just don't even know what to think right now. My brain feels like it turned into mush." I complained.

"I know, I know..." she said, soaking in all of my words.

We sat there in silence, staring at the wall in front of us. She has been here for me through everything, so just per presence somewhat lifts my mood, even if it was only a centimeter.

"hey, maybe writing down your thoughts will help you sort through them. I know you got that journal from the store." she finally spoke and offered. I nodded, and she patted my shoulder before standing up. "I'll go grab you some water, let me know if you need anything."

She left the room, and my heart swelled at how caring she is. She is my best friend, and I couldn't imagine going through the things I have without her.

I leaned down next to me, pulling my backpack up onto the bed from the ground. I reached in, pulling out my new notebook. I ran my finger along the engraved saying on the front, 'running through the garden where nothing bothered us.'. I thought back to the dream I had last night, but this time it was plagued by the image of Harry.