The Boggart

You, Fred, George, and Lee walked to Defense Against the Dark Arts the next day. The four of you were quite excited. No one had had Professor Lupin yet, but from what you had seen, you knew we was going to be a good teacher. At least, you hoped. Your past Defense Against the Dark Arts teachers weren't exactly great. You especially wanted a good teacher this year to prepare you for your O.W.L.s.

Lupin wasn't my there when you entered the room. You, Lee, and the twins, instead of taking your normal spots near the back, decided to change it up and sit on the second row. The rest of the class filled in and took their seats. Lupin then entered the room.

"Good afternoon," he said. He saw your group and sent you all a wink, "Today will be a practical lesson. You'll only need your wands," There was a sudden murmur. Practical lessons in Defense Against the Dark Arts lessons had been rare over the years. Professor Lupin then asked Fred and George to help him pull a large trunk onto his desk. They did so then returned to their seats next to you. The trunk began to wobble, making a few people jump. Lupin smiled reassuringly.

"Nothing to worry about," Professor Lupin said, "It's a boggart. Thus, the first question we must ask ourselves is what is a boggart?" You raised your hand. "Yes?" Lupin asked, pointing at you.

"A shape-shifter," you replied, "It takes the shape of whatever we fear the most,"

"Excellent," said Professor Lupin, smiling, "The boggart is currently sitting in the darkness, waiting to assume form. No one knows what a boggart truly looks like. When I let him out, he'll immediately become whatever each of us fears. This means, we have an advantage over it. Do you know what that is, Lee?" Lee looked stuck for a second, but then answered.

"There are so many of us, he won't be sure what form to take?" Lee said. Professor Lupin beamed.

"Exactly," he said. Lupin then taught you all the charm that repeals boggarts (riddikulus). Then Lupin went on and asked each member of the class to picture what they feared the very most and how they could make it funny, positive, or uplifting.

Professor Lupin called Roger Davies, a Ravenclaw, to the front. Davies looked slightly nervous, but determined. You had played against him in quidditch multiple times, but he had always been relatively kind to you. Professor Lupin unlocked the trunk.

Suddenly a massive cobra fell onto the floor.

"Riddikulus!" shouted Davies. The cobra's fangs suddenly turned to jell-o. The cobra's face twisted into a surprised expression. The class then rushed to get into a line to face the boggart. You ended up in front of Fred and behind Lee.

The boggart kept changing. After Davies' cobra, it had turned into a rapid dog, a pile of dead bodies, a massive spider, and much more. George's was a dark cloud that blocked everyone else from his view. He turned it into cotton candy which span around the room. Finally it was Lee's turn. A bludger came pelting at him.

"Riddikulus!" cried Lee and the bludger exploded into fireworks. You and the twins roared with laughter.

"Lee, a bludger?" asked George, laughing.

"You'd be scared of them too if you were the commentator!" Lee said, turning slightly red, but joining in the laughter. You then stepped up to the boggart. You had no idea what you feared the very most and just decided to go with the flow. Lee's fireworks suddenly dissolved and in front of you was a group of people. They all looked kind of like you, but each were blurred. A man and a woman stood in front. You realized what it was at once: your blood family. The man in the front opened his mouth and spoke.

"You've got to go love. Somewhere. Anywhere. Listen, the nurse from the school lives in Scotland-," the man continued to speak. The words you had thought about ever since you heard them in the Hogwarts Express suddenly were being spoke again. The man finished talking and then the woman opened her mouth.

"No. I want to stay here. Have our child with-," But you didn't let the woman finish.

"Riddikulus!" you shouted, pointing your wand at your blurred blood relatives. Oliver and your adopted parents suddenly appeared, smiling at you. You quickly headed to the back of the line to George and Lee.

"What was-?" Lee began to ask, but you shook your head. You then heard screaming and looked to the front of the room. Fred's boggart was you and George, lying on the floor, blood pouring from each of you. The boggart George was telling real Fred that both of you were dying.

"Riddikulus!" said Fred firmly. The boggart of you and George were suddenly whole again. Fred quickly walked back to you. "Are you alright?" he asked and pulled you into a hug. You nodded, but felt your eyes burning. It was too much: seeing the blood family you had imagined in your head, hearing the voices again, and learning about Fred's greatest fear. After each student had a go, Professor Lupin stepped forward and the boggart turned into an orb. He forced it back into the trunk. After a quick summary and a talk about how laughter is what truly destroys a boggart, Professor Lupin dismissed you. As you headed out of the class with Fred, Lee, and George, Professor Lupin called to you.

"Y/N? Can I talk to you for a second?" he asked. You nodded.

"We'll wait for you in the hall," George said. Once the door to the classroom was shut, Professor Lupin turned to you.

"I'm sorry about today," he said, "If I would have known, I-,"

"It's alright, Professor," you said, "Really,"

"If you're sure,"

"I am,"

"Let me know if you need anything, Y/N,"

"I will. Thank you, Professor Lupin," you said and exited the classroom. The boys were waiting for you. Fred immediately pulled you into another hug. You smiled softly. "Let go, I'm alright,"

"We don't believe you," said Lee instantly.

"Not for a second," George added.

"What do you say we sneak to Hogsmeade? I'm fancying a butterbeer right now," said Fred. You nodded gratefully as you and the three boys walked toward one of the secret passageways that led from the castle to the village.