The Photograph and The Rat

The moment you entered the Great Hall to eat dinner the day you returned to Hogwarts from the Burrow, your brother ran up and threw his arms around you.

"Ollie!" you cried happily, hugging him back, "How was America?"

"Brilliant!" said Oliver, "I have so many new ideas for our team. Listen, I was talking to Harry and he said that Professor Lupin was teaching him how to ward off dementors. He seems to know his stuff, Lupin. I think you should talk about what you heard on the train and at the Hufflepuff game with him," You nodded. You had told Oliver about the final line you had heard on the quidditch pitch a bit ago. You might actually follow Oliver's advice this time. Professor Lupin was quite brilliant.

"I'll do that. In fact, I have Defense Against the Dark Arts in a few days before lunch," you replied.

"Also," your brother said, lowering his voice, "Harry got a Firebolt for Christmas,"

"A Firebolt?" you asked, eyes wide, "No way! Who sent it to him?"

"There wasn't a note, but Harry thinks it was Sirius Black," said Oliver. Your face went pale. During the exciting holiday, you had forgotten that a mass murder was on the run. Seeing your expression, Oliver quickly continued, "McGonagall has confiscated it to check it for jinxes and all of that, but I'll make her see sense. We're getting a Firebolt on our team, Y/N, a Firebolt!" You laughed as Oliver went away to find Professor McGonagall. You sat for dinner next to the twins, Lee, Ron, and Harry. It was then you noticed that Ron and Harry kept sending glares in Hermione's direction.

"What's up with you two and Hermione?" you asked.

"She was the one who told McGonagall about Harry's Firebolt," Ron muttered.

"Harry has a Firebolt?" asked Fred, eyes going wide. Harry explained to Lee and the twins how he had indeed been given a Firebolt for Christmas, how it was potentially sent to him by Sirius Black, and all about how Hermione told McGonagall about it.

"Well," you said, "It's honestly a good thing regardless. People don't just go around giving other broomsticks with no note," The boys all stared at you.

"You're siding with her?" Ron asked, gasping. You shrugged.

"I dislike how she did it, but checking the broom would be the proper thing to do, even if it was an old Cleansweep One. The no-name thing is a bit fishy," After this statement, the boys stopped throwing glares in Hermione's direction. Ron and Harry still weren't happy though. You knew the only way everything would smooth over was for the Firebolt to be in Harry's possession and you hoped that Oliver would get the broom back from McGonagall soon.

•••

After Defense Against the Dark Arts a few days after you talked to your brother, you told Fred, George, and Lee to wait outside the classroom while you talked to Professor Lupin. They agreed. Once all of your peers left the classroom, you approached your professor.

"Professor Lupin?" you asked.

"Y/N! Here to talk about the voices you heard on the train?" Professor Lupin said.

"Yes! How did you know?"

"Your brother told me if you didn't speak to me soon, I would need to give you detention every day until you did,"

"Oliver would say that," you said, rolling your eyes.

"So, what exactly did you hear, if I may ask?"