The First Task

You stood next to Charlie and looked at the arena that had been made for this first Triwizard task. It was massive, but not as impressive as the stadium for the Quidditch World Cup. Stands surrounded a rocky pit where the champions would face their dragons. A stash of eggs was in the center. One was golden. No one was in the arena yet except staff and reporters. You were present to help Madam Pomfrey in the first aid tent. You hoped that your healing skills wouldn't be needed, but with what Harry, Cedric, Fleur, and Krum were about to do, chances were slim. Charlie playfully pushed your shoulder, waking you from your trance of thought.

"Earth to Y/N," Charlie said.

"Sorry," you replied, "I kinda dozed off. What's up?"

"I asked how you felt about Fred," he said. You stiffened.

"He's a git," you said, "He told you about what happened between us, right?"

"He did," said Charlie, "And he admitted he was an absolute idiot and missed you,"

"Really?" you asked, raising your eyebrows.

"Yeah. If he came up and explained everything to you, would you forgive him?"

"Charlie. He's still my very best friend. Of course I would... as long as he stopped being stupid,"

"Good," Charlie grinned and looked back into the arena.

"What?" you said, "You're not telling me something," Charlie shrugged and winked at you.

"Maybe I am, maybe I'm not," he laughed. You rolled your eyes, but smiled. Charlie's words had given you hope. The older boy wouldn't lie to you about something as important as this. Maybe Charlie was hinting that Fred would talk to you soon or something. You certainly hoped so.

"Charlie!" called a burly man.

"Yes Chuck?" Charlie said.

"We've gotta get the Swedish Short-Snout ready," Chuck replied. Charlie gave him a thumbs up and then turned back to you.

"Talk to you after the match!" he said, giving you a quick hug before running after Chuck. You turned toward Hogwarts. Students and teachers were filing out the front doors. Eventually they reached the arena and began filling the stands. Hermione ran over to you.

"Hi Hermione!" you said, "How are you feeling?"

"Just fine," Hermione said. Her face was slightly pale.

"Listen," you said softly, "It'll be alright. Charlie and his friends are super experienced. No one will let anything happen to Harry," Hermione nodded, still clearly nervous. You didn't blame her. As much as you wanted to believe your own words, it was hard to think anyone would be okay after facing a dragon. Music started to play. The noise of the chattering people only grew. Ron suddenly appeared at your shoulder.

"Hey guys," he said. He was paler than Hermione.

"Hello Ron," you and Hermione said together. You looked up at the stands and saw three boys picking their way through them. Two had bright red hair. It was Fred, George, and Lee.

"Bets!" shouted Fred over the crowd, "Place your bets!"

"Bets taken here!" chimed in Lee.

"Who fancies a flutter on today's bloodbath?" George called. You shook your head, grinning. What absolute idiots. You watched as a Durmstrang student exchanged a slip of paper and a few coins with Fred. Before Fred continued down the row, however, he glanced over at you. You made eye contact for a split second. You quickly looked away and felt your cheeks turning red.