The Real Secret Keeper

You entered the Shrieking Shack, the tunnel's final destination, on Professor Lupin's heals. Lupin held out his hand and motioned for you to stop. You did so. Then you heard a girl scream from upstairs. Hermione. You and Lupin pounded up the stairs. The professor threw open a door and you looked inside.

Ron was lying on the floor; his leg was bent oddly. Hermione was cowering next to the door. Harry was standing over Sirius Black, who was crumpled and bleeding at Harry's feet. Sirius Black: the murderer.

"Expelliarmus!" shouted Lupin. You felt your wand fly out of your hand. Professor Lupin now stood holding your wand, along with Harry, Ron, and Hermione's. You immediately grabbed Hermione's arm and pulled her over to Ron. The boy was white with pain. You tried to find items to make a splint while keeping an eye on the murderer on the floor.

"Where is he, Sirius?" asked Lupin in a tense voice. You jerked your head around to look at your professor. What was he talking about? Suddenly, Black, expressionless, pointed directly at Ron.

"What are you talking about, Professor?" you looked at Lupin. Lupin didn't look at you though; his eyes were trained on Black.

"But then...," Lupin muttered, "Why hasn't he shown himself before now? Unless- unless he was the one... unless you switched... without telling me?" Black slowly nodded, his eyes never leaving Professor Lupin's face.

"Professor," Harry interrupted, "What's going on-,". But he never finished his question. Lupin had suddenly lowered his wand, walked to Black's side, pulled him to his feet, and embraced Black. Ice cold fear pulsed through your veins.

"I DON'T BELIEVE IT!" Hermione screamed, "You- you-,"

"Hermione-," began Lupin, but Hermione didn't let him finish.

"I didn't tell anyone! I've been covering up for you-," she continued. Harry, pent up, started screaming too.

"I trusted you!" he shouted at Professor Lupin, "And all this time you have been his friend!"

"You're wrong," Lupin tried again, "Let me explain-,"

"NO!" Hermione said, "Harry, don't trust him, he's been helping Black get into the castle, he wants you dead too, and he's a werewolf!" Silence fell. You stared at Professor Lupin. Things began to fall into place. He always fell ill on the full moon. Werewolves were dangerous and deadly. You pulled Ron slightly away from Lupin.

"Not at all up to your usual standard, Hermione," Professor Lupin said, "Only one out of three, I'm afraid. I have not been helping Sirius get into the castle and I certainly don't want Harry dead... but I won't deny that I am a werewolf," Ron whimpered in pain and you began looking frantically around for something to bandage Ron's leg with. You had to get the trio out of here soon. Harry had started yelling at Lupin again and, in order to get him to listen, the professor gave you back your wands, continuously saying he had not be helping Black.

"If you haven't been helping him," Harry asked, "How did you know he was here?"

"The Marauder's Map," answered Lupin.

"You know how to work it?" Harry looked suspiciously at him.

"Of course I know how to work it. I helped write it. I'm Moony," After Lupin's words, your felt your jaw drop open.

"You wrote-," you began, but Professor Lupin cut you off.

"The important thing is, I was watching it carefully this evening, because I knew the three of you might try to sneak out of the castle and visit Hagrid. I watched you cross the grounds and leave Hagrid's twenty minuted later, accompanied by somebody else,"