Memory Charms

The days following November 24th were full of celebration. The Gryffindors bubbled with pride over Harry's performance during the First Task. Another topic of conversation was the champions' golden eggs. Harry opened his for the Gryffindors. It had emitted a loud and screechy wailing. Each idea of what it could mean was more outlandish than the last.

The start of the December brought wind and sleet to Hogwarts. Yet, Hagrid still had his classes outdoors. You, Angelina, and Alicia had just arrived in the entrance hall from one of them. The three of you were drenched from the combination of rain and snow that had hammered down upon you during the run from Hagrid's hut. Angelina pulled out a handheld mirror from her bag and examined her face.

"My makeup is completely ruined!" she groaned.

"Ange," you said while trying to wring out your robs, "It looks completely fine! Really. Just touch up under your eyes," Alicia glanced at her watch.

"Want to run up to Gryffindor Tower?" she asked, "We have time before Defense Against the Dark Arts,"

"Definitely," you said. The three of you rushed up to your shared dormitory. Angelina immediately went to the mirror. You pulled off your drenched clothes and put on some new ones. You then joined Angelina at the mirror and dried your hair with a quick spell. Alicia changed as well. Once all of you were ready, you sprinted to class.

You, Angelina, and Alicia arrived a few minutes before the bell. As you sat down in the desk behind your two friends, you glanced over to where Lee, George, and Fred sat. You and Fred made eye contact for a split second. You turned pink and reached into your bag to pull out your book, heart pounding furiously. As you straightened up, you realized someone was sitting in the once empty seat beside you.

"So, Wood," Adrian Pucey smirked, "How are you doing?"

"What do you want?" you snapped.

"Whoa there," Pucey said, raising his hands into the hair, "Just asking a question," You opened your mouth to tell the Slytherin to sit somewhere else when Professor Moody walked into the room. The class immediately fell silent. You scooted as far away as you could from Pucey, scowling. Looks like you would have to sit next to that piece of filth for the rest of the class.

"Today," growled Moody, "We will be talking about memory charms. Can someone tell me the most common one?" You raised your hand with the majority of the class. Moody called on Roger Davies.

"It's obliviate," Davies said, "The spell erases memories,"

"Very good," Moody said. He wrote the spell on the blackboard, "Useful spell. Used on muggles and wizards alike. Can be broken though, but that requires extensive magical knowledge," Professor Moody continued to explain the obliviate charm. As he did, Pucey leaned closer to you.

"I heard you and Weasley aren't going out anymore," he hissed, "What caused the break up?"

"We were never dating," you whispered back, "Now shut up and let me listen to the lecture,"

"Can anyone tell me the the reversed variation of obliviate?" asked Moody. His magical eye whizzed around in his socket. No one raised their hands this time. You wracked your brain. You weren't sure if you had ever heard of a spell that was the opposite of obliviate. "Thought so," continued Moody, "It's not something many know about," He turned to the board and wrote the charm instituo.

"What's that spell, Professor?" asked an eager Ravenclaw girl in the front row. Moody turned and examined the classes' faces.

"This charm allows a witch or wizard to embed a memory into another person. It, like the breaking of obliviate, requires great power to perform," Moody explained. Alicia raised her hand. Moody nodded to her.