The Dark Mark

Loud screams jerked you from your sleep. You sat up in your bed, looking frantically around the tent. It was still dark outside. Had you been dreaming? No. The shouts of hundreds rang throughout the campsite. There was also the thumping of feet as people ran by your tent.

"Hermione! Ginny!" you called, "Wake up! Something's wrong!" The two younger girls stirred in their beds and, after hearing the screams, quickly got up. You grabbed your wand, as well as two cloaks for Ginny and Hermione.

"What's going on?" Ginny asked.

"No clue. C'mon," you said, throwing Hermione and Ginny their cloaks. You quickly opened the front flap of your tent and stepped outside.

People were screaming and running in a massive current past you towards the woods. It was utter chaos. You raised yourself onto your tiptoes to see what was causing the panic.

What you saw made you sick. A masked group of wizards, tightly packed together, were marching with their wands pointed upward in the valley below. High above them were four struggling figures. It was if the masked individuals were the puppeteers, bending and twisting their marionettes above into grotesque shapes. Tents, burning from curses, crumpled and fell as the group swelled. People were either running into the woods or joining the horrible crowd. Hermione gasped as she stepped out of the tent behind you, followed by Ginny.

"Is that... the muggle that is in charge of the campsite?" asked Ginny, "In the air?" You squinted. It certainly was him and the three other figures were probably his wife and children. A familiar voice called out to you through the screams.

"Y/N!" shouted Fred. He was standing in front of the other tent with Harry, Ron, George, Charlie, Bill, Percy, and Mr. Weasley. You ran over to the group with Ginny and Hermione at your heels.

"We're going to help the Ministry!" bellowed Mr. Weasley over the screaming, "You lot, get into the woods. Stick together. I'll come and fetch you when we've sorted this out!" Then he took off, sprinting after Percy, Charlie, and Bill, who were already running towards the masked group.

"C'mon!" Fred said, immediately taking charge. He took Ginny's hand. "You heard Dad!" You entered the throng of running people headed towards the woods after George, Fred, and Ginny. Harry, Hermione, and Ron were right behind you.

It was complete mayhem in the fray of individuals tearing away from the masked group. People kept ramming into your shoulders. It took all your power to stay near George, Fred, and Ginny. The trio had disappeared into the throng.

"Get off the main path!" shouted George next to you, "It'll be faster and we'll be able to stay together!" You, the twins, and Ginny pushed towards the outskirts of the crowd. The four of you were almost out of the major current when a man shoved past you, cutting you off from the Weasleys. He sent you falling back into the mass. You stumbled, but kept on your feet. As you tried to stop so you could get to Fred, George, and Ginny, you were almost pushed over and trampled. You had to keep going with the crowd.

"Fred!" you screamed, "Fred!" You glanced back to see the twins and Ginny, who had made it outside of the mass of people. Fred shouted your name, but his voice was lost due to the screaming around you. A moment later, your friends disappeared from your sight as you were swept away from them. You frantically looked around for something that could help you get out of the crowd. Up ahead you spotted a wooden booth. Everyone was parting to get around it. It was an easy plan: once you passed the booth, you would shove out of the mass of people and hide behind it until the crowd dispersed.

Everything worked accordingly. As the group of people parted to make way for the booth before joining together again, you leapt behind the wooden structure. You pressed yourself tightly into one of the booth's walls and covered your head, burying your face into your knees. People continued to run past you, screaming.