Last Chance

Time ticked slowly and I couldn't take it much longer. "Eriiiiicccc." I whined.

        He kept facing the ocean as he steered the ship. "Hmm?"

        "I'm bored and my mother won't tell me the last task." I complained.

        He didn't answer. There was nothing, absolutely nothing to say. And there was nothing, absolutely nothing to do. I hung my legs over the railing and watched the sunset. There was a loaf of bread with cheese in my hand. The only categories of food left on this ship. Eric took a break and sat next to me. He grabbed my sandwich and started eating it. I just stared at my now empty hands. Stupid goatboy. 

        Suddenly, a headache overwhelmed me. I fell backwards holding my head. Your last task is to bring back one of the dead.

        Oh no. How am I supposed to defy this one. Dad. I need him back. "Eric."

        "What's up?"

        "The last task is to bring back the dead."

        "Okay let's find a way to defy that." he replied.

        "We would have to give Hades someone important to her." I gulped, trying to go along with his thinking.

        In my mind, I already have the exchange figured out. I either bring my dad back or give him me. A life for the control of the world. I bit my lip as Eric searched my eyes. "Lily-"

        "We have to Eric."

        His eyes widened as he held me close. "No we don't. Giving him you isn't a choice. There has to be someone else. What if you aren't that important to her? That would be a waste of a magnificent life."

        "Then you could get me. At least I would be with dad if I did do it."

        This could be my choice. I could give Hades me. "No." he stated.

        "I'll decide when we get there." He said nothing more after that. And he shouldn't. This is my choice. So, as Eric went back to steer, I sat and thought about what I would say. My speech was being made up in my mind. I was scared, no doubt about that. What if there isn't anything worthwhile after death? What if my sacrifice is pointless? There are so many what ifs. I'm scared to die. If I die, I won't die with a full and complete life.

        A complete life is where you can say that you have done everything that you wanted to do. You are happy with your life. Now? I can't say all that. What I wanted to do was be an artist with a great history. I wanted to paint for important things and about stuff that make you think.

        But I will die. I will die without a complete life. I don't know if I will be okay with that. I know that sounds stupid as well, but life is about finding your happiness and if I'm not okay with something, I'm straying away from that point. There aren't a lot of people who could say that they have completed a life.

        "We're in America again." Eric called out. I didn't reply. We were headed to California to enter the Underworld. Right now, we are in the Maine area. Apparently, we are going north instead of south. Then again, this is Eric's logic and he seems to have forgotten our need of jackets.

        We continued going north and it got colder and colder by the minute. Gods be damned, where is our helpful sun god to do us justice? The boat shook. Okay, not thinking that again. The boat shook again. I ran to the side and saw a ton of whales hitting our ship. Shit, I'm gonna have a heart attack soon enough. 'Eric..." I started.

        "It's okay, Lil. I've got this."

        I just nodded despite my doubt. Of course he's got it. Big man Eric on the move now. I began to make a will in my mind. If Eric becomes the cause of my death, I'm not gonna leave him anything. But, I always seem to insult him in near death situations and such. Maybe I'll leave him something. My sword would get buried with me.