Things DO get a whole lot worse

At the campfire that night, I sat alone. The satyrs all hated me now and only Connor is my friend and even HE can't sit with me. He has to sit with his cabin which is filled with like fifteen thousand kids, it's not even funny. The music in my opinion wasn't that great. I mean yeah, they were good, but I prefer the more exciting type. Not the, "Oh look! It's a flower!" type of music. Just no, like really, you look like twenty year olds and you're singing about flowers.

I rested my head on my hand and stared at the fire. The way it danced faster than the beat of the drum. The way it swayed with a freedom I longed for. Life at camp is difficult if you only have one friend and he's in only one of your classes. I mean, can life not get any more complicated?

And yes, I suspect you think Connor and I have a crush on one another but puh-lease. No. I'm not gonna tell him all this. I keep things to myself. The only person I ever opened up to is dead so no thank you. Chiron got to the center (not the center of the fire- just... well you get it).

He clapped his blistered hands together. "Today is a wonderful night don't you think?" oh Zeus, he's one of the weather-talking/boring people. "Anyways, I'd like to discuss the welfare of the gods. As you may know, there is a war beyond our comprehension going on." he coughed. Oh great, way to be singled out. "Which is the reason Mr. D isn't here. I have ordered us to start training harder now, for safety reasons. Well, good night."

I got up. I felt multiple things hit my head. Some of the Ares kids were pelting me with rocks. How thoughtful. Something wet hit my cheek. It was one of the Aphrodite girls. "Connor's too good for you sweetheart. You belong in Tartarus with the other hideous monsters."

Another thing was pelted at me. Several Hermes boys threw spitballs at me. How mature. Connor was reprimanding them. One of the nine-year- olds shouted, "IT'S TRUE! SHE HAS YOU UNDER HER SPELL."

I huffed and walked towards my cabin, embracing the insults thrown at me. I love how appreciated I am. I stomped into my cabin and collapsed onto my bed. After a minute or two, I heard a voice. Keep trying to earn their trust. You will win this and become wanted and loved. Stand up but don't act rashly. Having that boy fall in love with you will do you well.

At this point, I was thinking of staying on my mother's side of things. I mean, nobody actually loved me like that so what do I have to lose? Nothing. Why not then? Connor walked in. I glared at him. "Do you always avoid knocking?"

"Pretty much."

"Ugh."

"Listen, I want you to ignore them. They mean nothing alright? You are not the bad guy. It's not your fault that Gaea's your mom. Just stay positive ok?"

"Alright Connor."

He nodded and bent down to my level. He smiled and wrapped his arms around me. His shoulders were tense. I hesitated at first but returned the hug after a few seconds. His body relaxed. He held me tight for a few minutes then let go. "Night Lily Bean."

"Night Con."

He walked out of the room into the night sky. His touch was still lingering though. I smiled and put my pajamas on (aka a tank top and plaid pants- classy I know). I guess one person really does care. Laying down on my side, I stared out the window.

My eyes started to flutter shut but..... a paper plane flew in and hit my stomach. I sat up and opened it. It said:

Meet me at the lake RIGHT NOW or else.

I gulped and got up. I walked over to the lake slowly. A group of people were standing there glaring at me. "What do you need?"

"To make our jobs and other people's jobs easier."

"Why am I involved?"

"Oh you're the way to make the jobs easier."

Now I'm scared. "H-how?"

"Getting rid of you."

Three people grabbed me. One of them tied my mouth so I couldn't talk. Who knew that they could be so cruel? They dragged me over to the one who was speaking. She smirked and grabbed her dagger. I thought she was going to stab me then and there, but she didn't. Instead, she made a long gash from shoulder to shoulder. It hurt like Hades' worst punishment.

Then, she ordered the boys to throw me in the lake all tied up. Mind you, I now have a fear of the water. The coldness hit me in three seconds flat.