The Underworld Isn't That Bad

The pain was oh so excruciating. I felt the terror and anger surge through my bones, and it was horrifying. I couldn't shake off the feeling of hatred, and the stinging increased by the minute.

The darkness made everything much worse. I couldn't see shit, and it frightened me beyond anything else. Anything could jump at me. They could jump at me and destroy me. What the "they" is, I don't know. It could be anything or anyone.

It was a very long period of time that I was in pain. It was burning and crushing, and I felt helpless. I was suspended in the air, I assumed. I writhed in the air, trying to free myself of this treacherous pain. The sulfurous air seeped into my nostrils, burning me in places I thought were safe. Is it possible to feel more pain than before?

I heard screaming. It was like a surround sound room filled with torture. People with decayed bodies and souls clambered to the top of every rocky pier. Their mouths were open in terror and pain. Hades appeared beside me. "Here is where the sinners lay." He pointed at the screaming souls.

I nodded. "Am I going there?"

His eyes widened. "Of course not. You're going to a far more- special place." He paused and looked down in the fire for a moment.

We ended in a beautiful place, compared to the previous scenery. I can't really describe what it looked like, but I was grateful that this is where I would be staying. "This is Elysium, the place for brave and heroic souls like yours."

I was still very quiet which Eric would be thankful for. I felt free and calm, and it was sort of serene-like. The objects had a faint glow to them and I instantly was drawn to them. I didn't turn back so I didn't notice Hades leave.

I explored my surroundings, but it still didn't help me get used to it. I felt a tap on my shoulder. I whirled around to find an older man with a kind face looking at me.

"Dad," I said breathlessly.

He put his arm around my shoulders lovingly. "I missed you."

"I missed you too."

"But you're here too soon."

I looked up at him to find him frowning. "I had to though."

"You succeeded but lost everything and I'm not sure that's something to be proud of." His wrinkles started to show clearly.

"But at least I'm here to see you Dad," I tried. He didn't respond to that, and I felt a million weighs drop on my shoulder. His hand lifted from where it rested on my shoulders and I saw him walk into a brightly lit house. "Is that your home?" He nodded and I walked right in.

Now, I expected it to be nice, you know, with nice furniture and colors. What I didn't expect was it to look exactly like my house. It's what your heart desires, I guess. I ran my fingers over the table and then the books on the shelf to the left of me. I walked into the living room that was so familiar yet not at the same time. My dad chuckled behind me. "I guess the Underworld isn't that bad."

"It's home."

"Not quite but it's close enough." His eyes drooped when he looked at me. "But sweetie, you died young and too accepting of that, and that is no way to die."

"But that's how-"

"No, I grew up and lived. I can accept death now but you shouldn't." He rubbed his eyes tiredly.

"Dad, I can't go back, and I expected you to be more exuberant, not tired."

"This is wearing me out, and it's making me upset. I don't want you here."