Chapter 29

This chapter is dedicated to:

thehodophileone

_Anaberrry

theoneudontknow

miracle_1503

keplerskind

Thank you so much for all of your comments! The pieces of advice, well wishes, or just funny musings brought a smile to my face. Writing this story is so much more fun when I get to see what you all are thinking as you follow along with Lark's journey.

________________________________________________________________________

POV: Luka

Ugh.

Orange juice and toothpaste were never a good combination, but I still downed the rest of the glass that Greyson had poured for me.

It was Saturday morning and my fingers played a nervous beat on the countertop as my knee bobbed up and down. I was meeting Lark today to work on our Italian projects together, and I was excited, to say the least. Something else crawled into the back of my mind as I thought about her interactions with me and the guys throughout the week.

She wasn't as distant as she was when we first found her, but there was a wall up that hadn't existed the previous weekend. I couldn't tell what was going on with her and it was driving me crazy.

"What is up with you today dude? I mean normally you move at light speed but you seem more jittery than usual?" Greyson's voice took me out of the tunnel my thoughts were going down.

"I'm hanging out with Lark today so we can work on this project we have for our Italian class. I- I'm just a little nervous I guess. She seems a little off again and I don't want to spend today feeling like I have to look over my shoulder to make sure she hasn't left again", I spoke quietly.

Greyson was quiet for a moment before responding in his matter of fact Greyson way.

"She's been through a lot, Luka. I wouldn't be surprised if she seemed "off" for the rest of her life. She told us she wouldn't leave again without saying goodbye. We have to trust that". He squeezed my shoulder before heading out of the kitchen.

He was right.

I knew that and still, I couldn't help to worry.

The time on the home screen of my phone read 9:30 am. "Fuck". I was supposed to be meeting her at 10 am and was definitely going to be late for that now. I fired off a quick text letting her know I'd be about 10 minutes late and rushed upstairs to my bedroom to grab a coat, my backpack, and my camera.

The rest of the guys were piled onto the couches in the living room occupied with their phones and the tv. I gave them a quick goodbye as I headed out the door and made my way out into the bustling city below.

***My feet hit the grimy floor of the Roosevelt Island subway station at 10:03 am. Lark had asked me to meet her at the Roosevelt Island park which was still about another ten-minute walk. Kicking it into gear, I jogged up the subway station steps and made my way out into fresh air. The people around me were dressed in everything from shorts and t-shirts to coats and scarves.