Chapter 60

*TW: There is mention of physical abuse and self-harm ideation in this chapter*

POV: Lark

"Aid!", I shouted from the bottom of the stairs. "Are you ready to go?!".

It was almost 10 am and we were supposed to leave at 9:30. "He's in his room", Colt said as he made his way downstairs. I went to move past him but he caught my arm before pulling me into a kiss. 

"Do you want to go somewhere with me this week? There's something I've been wanting to show you", he asked. I was surprised to hear nerves in his voice.

"I'd love to. You tell me when and I'm there". I gave him another quick kiss before I sprinted up the stairs to go find Aidan. 

I opened his door to find him nowhere in sight and I was about to leave and search for him elsewhere when I heard a soft scratching sound coming from the other side of his room. I walked in further and found him lying on the floor with headphones on, hidden by his bed, with a sketchbook in front of him and a pencil in his hand.

I felt like I was intruding suddenly. Aidan never told me like to draw and the way he moved his pencil across the page felt like an intimate scene that I shouldn't have been looking at without an invitation. His work was beautiful. The lines were soft and unhurried, and the woman's face looked heartbreaking.

When he turned his face and saw me staring at him, he looked embarrassed and I instantly regretted not leaving earlier. His headphones came off and he stood up, holding the sketchbook behind his back. "Lark, what are you doing in here?", he said with a look of frustration.

"I'm sorry", I said quickly. "I was just looking for you to see if you were ready to go grocery shopping. It's already 10 and I know you wanted to leave earlier".

He nodded before moving to place the sketchbook in a drawer. "I got sidetracked and didn't realize it was so late. We can go now". He moved past me to head to his door and I grabbed his hand.

"I didn't mean to intrude, Aidan, I'm really sorry".

He gave me a sad smile before squeezing my hand. "It's okay". He walked out the door and waited for me in the hallway before leading me out of the apartment.

***

As we walked around the grocery store, there was still some awkwardness between us that I didn't understand. He was a beautiful artist, and I didn't get why he wouldn't have told me or why he seemed to be embarrassed about it.

The two of us worked in quiet tandem as we took turns reading things off the list and finding them off the shelves. By the time we finished our cart was piled high with everything from snack essentials to thanksgiving dinner ingredients. We both let out an annoyed sigh as we saw how long the line was.

"So much for beating the rush I guess", he joked quietly.

"At least it's done and we won't have to do it again", I said.

We were quiet again, moving slowly forward as the line moved at a snail's pace.