Chapter 41

POV: Aidan

As I watched Colt take off after Lark, their bodies disappeared in the sea of swaying people.

She looked... effortless tonight.

"I'm breaking up with Liz", I stated without taking my eyes off of the spot I had last seen Lark. I felt more than heard Grey and Luka stop talking. Their attention shifting to me felt like a weighted blanket. Not uncomfortable, just supportive.

It was Luka who broke the silence between us. "You sure?"

I knew what he was thinking. Unlike Colt, I did actually care for Liz and I even though I didn't love her, she loved me. "I'm sure. It's not fair to keep stringing her along when I've never been fully invested in this. Even less so since Lark came back".

They both nodded, but I could see the questions lingering in Greyson's eyes as the flashing lights from the club lit our booth in shades of red. "You know I want nothing more than to see all of us happy and to see her happy with us."

"But...", I encouraged him to continue.

"It's not a but", he started, "I want everyone happy, and I want her not to feel ambushed by us. She went from having no one, to having us back in her life, and now we all want so much from her. We want to be lovers and friends. I'm worried that it's too much too fast".

Greyson was one of the most level-headed people I knew, so I could understand where he was coming from. He was also the most considerate, but at times I think he forgot that other people should get a say in their emotions too. It's not something he did on purpose. It just came with the territory of being a writer. His whole life he tried to understand other people in an attempt to write more believable characters. He just needed to remember that he wasn't always the author of everyone's story.

I was about to say just as much when Luka beat me to it. "I think you mean well Grey, but we can't take that choice away from her either. It might be too much. You are right. But we should ask her if it is first".

Taking a sip of his gin and tonic, Greyson leaned back against the booth. "You're right". "Now, I don't know about you two, but I didn't come here to just sit around and gossip. Let's fucking dance". After slamming back the shot of patron Luka had ordered for the table, I stood up and made my way to the dance floor.

I heard them both follow suit and together we moved through the crowd to look for the missing members of our group.

It didn't take long to find them.

Colt and Lark were dancing as if they could read each other's minds.

With her back pressed against his front, he moved her hips against him without missing a single beat of the music. Although judging from what I was seeing, I wouldn't have been surprised if they had been dancing entirely off rhythm – lost in their own world.

"He looks so relaxed", Luka joked.