Chapter 44

POV: Lark

****************************************

Lark: What am I supposed to wear to this?

I sent the text to Colt and paced in my apartment as I waited for his reply. I was feeling particularly nervous about going to Aidan's fight tonight.

We hadn't seen each other since last weekend at the club. Either he was gone training or I was on campus at classes. I missed him.

It didn't feel like he was avoiding me, but I also knew the distance between us felt charged.

Colt: You'll sit VIP with us so wear what you want. Most people wear semi-formal or streetwear though.

Lark: Got it. Thanks!

As I looked over the clothes in my closet, I settled on a pair of black pants and a white crop top. I didn't mind dressing up when the occasion called for it, but if given the chance to be more casual I'd always take it.

My mirror reflected the unease I felt and I wanted to hide it underneath a layer of makeup. Lining my eyes in a metallic brown, I let the normalcy of the task drown out my thoughts. I finished quickly and stepped back to stare at my whole ensemble. I felt cool. Really cool.

Colt: We're picking you up in 5 minutes.

The guys had insisted that they pick me up in whatever flashy vehicle they chose for the evening. It was still a little weird for me to wrap my head around their wealth. I had learned that it wasn't just Colt and Aidan that brought in the money. Luka's photography had taken off and he was being paid by many up-and-coming indie magazines to shoot their cover stars. Greyson always joked that once his first novel was published he would finally be able to be the breadwinner of the family.

I enjoyed the comfort that their money brought me and I appreciated how generous they were. I just wanted to contribute too.

I check my appearance in the mirror one last time and then chucked my used makeup wipe in the trash can. The poster I had thrown away on Monday stared back at me.

It was for some band that was playing at a dive bar the next week. The poster, along with a demo of their songs was shoved under my door when I got back to my place last Sunday. I was surprised that they had gone to that much effort since most of the first floor of my building was covered in the same poster.