Chapter 20

POV: Greyson

I watched Mia walk away. Her steps light and her shoulders square.

 You'd never know she was carrying the weight of past trauma within herself if you only glanced at her. You would see a beautiful woman full of grace and radiating kindness.

When I saw her face and the way her whole body had flinched earlier, I saw red. If that prick had hurt her... I don't even want to think about it. I'm not normally a violent person. For Lark though, for Lark, I could be.

Having her in class was going to be difficult. My eyesight kept gravitating towards her in class and I knew Cartwright would either call me on it soon or just tell me to ask her out already. Even if I thought she was ready for that sort of relationship I could never act on it. When we were younger I had a crush on Lark. I thought I had buried those feelings for her, but when I saw her two days ago it all came rushing back. Now that I've gotten to see glimpses of the new Lark, those feelings have only heightened.

She isn't just mine though. She never has been.

I knew the others cared for the same way I did. Colt and Aidan might not admit it, but they did. We all would sacrifice anything to have Lark look at us the same way we look at her when she's not looking.

I've never been threatened or jealous of the emotions my brothers had for her. I always told myself that if she decided to date one of us someday, as long as she was happy I wouldn't care. 

Even if it wasn't me.

As her form disappeared from my sight, I turned on my heel to the direction of my next class. Luckily this one I wasn't helping to teach. Seeing as I was likely going to be a little late, I texted my friend Savannah to save me a spot.

Savannah and I met our freshman year and became friends due to our shared major. We dated for a little bit, but I realized I only saw her as a friend and ended things. She didn't take it well at first, but with time we've gotten back to the friendship that we had when we first met.

Checking my phone, I saw that Savannah had texted me back.

Sav: Sure! I'm in the fifth row, left side.

On any other day, I would have been excited to attend this class. Poetry was something I realized I had a passion for in college, and my advisor gave me permission to take Advanced Poetry II this semester.

Instead of prose and tone, the only thing on my mind was our family meeting tonight.

This was going to be a long day. 

****************************************

A/N: This is just a short little transition chapter! I know many of you are anxious to hear about Lark's story and I'm excited to tell you that it will be told in the next two chapters... which I am working on right now :)

- C.J.