Chapter 48

POV: Colt

I threw back the glass of scotch I had poured myself as I looked down at the city below me. It was almost three in the morning and the lights below really made it seem as though the city never slept.

After our talk with Lark, everything felt peaceful in a way it never had before. I don't think I'd felt that same sense of calm since I was a teenager living in Connecticut.

It unnerved me.

I had spent so long trying to find my family and hold them together that I worried if I was missing something. Something that would cause this fragile dream to slip through my fingers.

Fuck.

I needed to get a grip or I was going to freak everyone out. I knew the others had always looked up to me because I was the oldest. I never minded being that guy for them.

All the same, it was a lot to handle at times.

I finished my drink and set it on the table beside me. I crossed my arms over my chest to insulate some of my heat. Being up this high it could get cold at night. It felt good though. It lit up my senses and made every thought sharper.

The sound of the patio door opening surprise me and I whipped my head around to see who it was.

Lark stepped outside and her bedhead made my heart ache in the best. God, she was adorable.

"Isn't it my job to be outside at an ungodly hour?", she asked sleepily before occupying the space next to me.

I brought my arm around her shoulder and pulled her closer. "What are you doing out here? I thought you were staying with Greyson tonight".

She wrapped her arms around my waist before answering. "I was but I had to pee and saw your door was open is all. I wanted to see if you were okay and thought you might be out here".

"I'm fine baby. Just couldn't sleep is all".

We stayed like that for a long time. Wrapped around each other and taking in the scenery.

"Colt?", she asked softly.

I turned my face down to hers and tried my best to read the expression on her face. She looked nervous for some reason.

"I-", she started. "Do you want me?".

Her question felt like a punch to the gut. "What do you mean? Of course I want you, Lark".

"But do you want me like the others do?" she asked. She turned her face away from me and I could tell she was embarrassed. "I know you love me but I can't tell if you love me just because you feel like you have to in order to make the guys happy".