Chapter 70

POV: Lark 

The guys and I were piled into a large, black, SUV as Delgado drove us to the hospital so I could check on Nicola.

My mother.

As happy as I was that we had found each other, it was still going to take some time to get used to.

"So what exactly happened when I didn't come back from my meeting", I asked the way too quiet car. Luka, Aidan, Colt, and Greyson all looked to be in various stages of deep thought and I was worried that they all felt similarly to how Colt did.

"When you didn't check in with me by 5", Delgado said from the front seat, "I tried to call your cell to make sure everything was alright. It went straight to voicemail, and I knew that Gio had finally made his move, so I put everything we had planned for into action and waited for your tracker to get activated".

"You know I thought you were a creep when I first saw you", Luka said. "Normally the tenants get alerted when a new concierge is hired, and you didn't seem to fit that role".

Delgado laughed from the front seat. "You'd be right about that. It's too much smiling for me". "Why did you tell us what was going on?", Aidan asked suddenly. He had been staring at the window so intensely that I thought he wasn't listening to the conversation.

"Emilia made me promise to alert you guys if she had been taken. Although I wish she would have told you all more about this so it wouldn't have taken so long to convince you I was the real deal", Delgado chastised.

Five pairs of annoyed expressions aimed at me, causing me to cringe in my seat. "I'm sorry. I should have handled it better, I thought that I was doing the right thing". Another thought crossed my mind from Delgado's earlier statement. "I didn't instruct you to bring them with you though", I said pointedly.

"That's our fault", Greyson said. "We wouldn't let him leave without taking us with him to go get you back".

My heart melted a little as an image of the four of them forcing an annoyed Delgado to bring them with formed in my mind.

The red neon lights of the emergency room sign filtered through the windows as Delgado pulled the car up to the curb. The four of us filed out of the backseat and started making our way to the sliding doors.

"Emilia", Delgado called out. "Don't forget our deal".

I turned back to him with a rueful smile on my face. "How could I? You saved my ass tonight".

"Stay out of trouble kid and keep me in the loop", he laughed before rolling the window up and driving off. He came across as a hard-ass but overall, he was a good guy and I knew he wouldn't call me in until I was ready.

"What's he talking about?", Colt asked as he walked at my side. The other three were fanned out around me, but I could tell they were waiting for my answer too.