Chapter 7

POV: Lark

Luka smiled at me reassuringly as we stepped out of the subway station. We were both quiet most of the way, but I could see him stealing glances at me when he thought I didn't notice.

I'm sure he saw the way I looked at him too.

I felt him take my hand and I stiffened for a second. Luka must have felt it because he let go instantly.

"I'm sorry Mia, I wasn't thinking. Old habits die hard I guess". Luka's voice was gentle. A stark contrast to the noise of the city that wrapped around us as we walked.

"It's okay Luka, but please don't call me that. My name is Emily now". I tried to sound firm but I know it didn't come across that way. I didn't want him to call me Emily. I wanted him to call me the name that belonged only to them.

Luka gave me a concerned look but didn't comment on my request. I realized he was leading me into a building when I started to take in my surroundings. It was a beautiful apartment building that stretched almost as tall as the skyscrapers that surrounded it. My surprise must have shown on my face because Luka explained once we got in the elevator.

"Colt bought this for us when he finally had the money. He wanted something that couldn't be taken away from us again". Luka looked into my eyes as he said that last part. I felt my eyes sting and I had to look away from him.

When the elevator opened up I was amazed. It was a penthouse apartment that overlooked Manhattan.

What did Colt do for a living?

I felt myself build up a wall. I had spent nine years at the mercy, or lack thereof, of rich and powerful men. If that was who I was now going to see I couldn't help but feel threatened.

No. This is Colt we are talking about. This is the guys. They would never hurt me.

Steeling myself with those thoughts I finally stepped further into their home. The openness of the living room easing the knots in my stomach. This was nothing like the cold and sterile environment I had previously existed in.

The smell of vanilla caught my attention and I turned my head to follow the smell.

Instead, I found Colt.

Staring back at me so intensely I thought I was going to catch fire.

He had been my protector ever since I met him and I still found comfort in the familiar blue of his gaze.

Colt had changed into a man that looked cold and dangerous on the outside. So different from the handsome and open boy that would hide the last mango yogurt in the fridge for me so no one else could have it. Now, he was covered in tattoos and cut like a god.

"Lark".

Hearing Colt say my name broke the last amount of strength I had. I knew I wasn't letting them go again. I would just have to find a different way to protect them if the time came.