Chapter 61

POV: Colt

It was the day before Thanksgiving, and I finally had time to take Lark on a date.

I loved my job and how busy it kept me, but sometimes I wish I worked in a field that wasn't so demanding of my time. 

I found Lark reading in her bedroom. Her hair was pulled back in a low bun and the sweater she was wearing covered most of her hands. She had a thing about wearing clothes that were too big for her. I didn't understand it, but she seemed to feel good which is all I cared about.

I knocked on her door before stepping inside. "Still up for that date I mentioned last weekend?".

She put the book down and it looked like she had to focus on me for a moment before responding. I loved that about her. How she could become so wrapped up in a story that the real world disappeared where the pages began.

"You said you wanted to show me something", she stated matter-of-factly.

"That's correct", I replied as I leaned against her door frame with my hand in my pocket.

"I'm game! Let me just grab some shoes and we can go", she said as she rushed out of bed. I was surprised to see that she was already fully dressed since she usually existed in a state of semi-undress ever since she moved in.

She flitted around her room and picked up a pair of black boots and a brown leather cross-body bag. As she put the finishing touches on her outfit, I couldn't help but stare at her. She was such an observant person that I usually couldn't look at her without her noticing. I had to wait till she was distracted by something to appreciate how effortless she was.

"Ready?", she asked me as she finished tying her laces

I held out a hand to her in answer and the two of us made our way down to the garage.

***

"Colt where are we? Can I have my eyesight back please?".

"Not yet", I chuckled. "We're almost there".

I guided her inside the building with my hands covering her eyes. She was surprisingly graceful for someone who couldn't see her surroundings. When we finally stepped inside, I walked us over to a bench and guided her to take a seat. "Okay. You can open your eyes now".