Chapter 63

POV: Lark

I walked among the bustling streets with a smile on my face and two sandwiches in my hands.

My afternoon class got canceled and with finals week being just around the corner, I was grateful for the extra time to relax. With the rest of my day being open, I wanted to surprise Aidan and bring him some lunch. Plus I had never seen the gym where he trains and I was curious about he spent so much of his time.

When Colt had texted me the address, he told me that his trainer Xavier could be a little gruff, but not to take it personally. I had laughed when I read it. I've dealt with men who were much more than gruff and who absolutely intended their words to be personal.

I could handle Xavier.

I finally got to the gym and stepped inside the red brick building. The floors were made of what looked like black vinyl and the walls were painted a matte black color. It if weren't for the large windows the whole room would have felt like a cave.

Aidan stood with his back to me. He was up in the ring with the same man I had seen at his fight a while back. The two of them were locked in a drill that sounded painful and exhausting. I looked around to see if there was somewhere I could sit and found a couch pushed against the far wall. I sat down and took in the gym while Aidan continued his workout. I was pretty sure he hadn't noticed me yet and I wanted to keep it that way.

This was his job. I wasn't going to purposefully distract him from it.

I realized that the only sounds were coming from Aidan's training session and when I did a double-take on the space, I saw that we were the only people in here. There wasn't even a receptionist sitting at the welcome desk when I had walked in. It made me wonder if Aidan and Colt booked this place out during training sessions so his practices were kept private.

"Move it, kid! Don't be lettin' an old fuck like me land hits on you". The raspy voice must have belonged to Xavier.

I watched Aidan move. He was incredibly fast and I wasn't sure how Xavier would have got a hit on him in the first place.

"Lucky shot old man", Aidan grunted out as he delivered a combination to the large gloves that Xavier had on.

They grappled with each other for a while before Xavier gave Aidan some parting instructions. 

"All right kid, I'm outta here. You did well today and I think you'll be in good shape for the rest of the season. I want you to do 50 uppercuts and hook combos on the bags before you finish up today".

Aidan went to work, his hands moving so fast they looked blurry to my eyes. As Xavier stepped out of the ring, he took his pads off and took a drink from his water bottle. His eyes met mine and they narrowed slightly as he put the bottle down and approached me.

"When do you get here?", he asked bluntly.

I raised my chin. "Maybe 5 minutes ago".

He crossed his arms as he looked me over. "You here to distract him?", he asked me pointedly.