Breaking These Walls~Chapter Forty Three

*Rick's POV*

I watched the camp from the inside of one of the cabins. From here I could see Maggie and Glen gaurding the gate. Beth was just outside our cabin, sitting beside Carl as he drew patterns into the dirt with a stick.

The two of them had managed to get pretty close the past couple of weeks. I guess that was to be expected. They were the two oldest kids in the camp. They needed to band together to take care of the younger kids and teach them how to survive.

Funny how two young teens wound up parents. Parents to children that are not even their own.

My thoughts were interrupted when I heard Judith start whining behind me. I turned to face her. She was staring at me with wide eyes.

Even as I looked at her, I wondered who's she was. Was she mine, or was she Shane's? No matter what she would always be my daughter. I would always care for her. She is part Lori, and part Carl after all.

I lifted her tiny body up into my arms. She let out another soft cry. She was hungry.

I opened the door and stepped out onto the porch. Both Beth and Carl looked up and smiled at us. Beth even reached out and grabbed Judith's tiny foot as I walked past.

Eventually we got to the food. While I was looking for some kind of food she could manage to eat, I heard Glen holler out for me.

Judith was still whining. I needed to feed my little girl.

Mica walked over as I thought this. I felt a tug on my heartstrings. Losing Lizzie had not been a good experience for her. She needed some kind of comfort.

"Mica."

She looked at me. "Do you think you can find something over here that Judith could eat? And maybe feed her when you do? Glen needs me."

Her eyes brightened. She nodded her head and grabbed Judith from my arms.

"What's going on?," I asked Glen. Based off the look on his face it was enough to keep him worried.

"Daryl and Sapphire are gone. Sapphire left hours ago. Daryl went after her."

I pinched the bridge of my nose. All I could do was hope that Sapphire would not manage to get herself caught again.

*Daryl's POV*

I wasn't exactly sure why I had said that. Or even how. I had tried so hard to fit in with this group. I had Rick, who was like a brother to me. Plus, I had everyone else before I met Sapphire.

I shook my head to clear it. I needed to focus on the goal in front of me. I needed to find Sapphire.

The tracks were only a few hours old. She couldn't have left long before me. The question was, why in the hell did she leave? And why did she take my bow with her?

Within a few minutes I came to a road. Across it, there was a small baby store. There were a few walkers milling around the door. Which was close to falling open under the pressure of the walkers.

I broke into a run. I hoped and prayed Sapphire wasn't in there. I screamed and waved my arms, trying my best to get their attention. None of them turned around.

I took my knife out and stabbed the first walker in the head. I could hear music coming from the inside of the store. Somebody had to start playing that.

I stabbed the next walker in the head, killing it instantly. My knife got stuck in the bone. The next walker turned around and snapped at my arm.

I jumped back away from the dead walker that had my knife in it's skull. It collapsed to the ground. The other walker, we'll call him snappy, started walking toward me.

I didn't have anything else to work with besides my hands. So, I did the only thing I knew to do. I ran to the walker and tackled it to the ground.

*Sapphire's POV*

I had woken up in the middle of the night. I could hear shuffling footsteps all around the store. My head snapped around to face every wall. I was terrified that I would come face to face with a mouthful of snapping teeth.

I needed a plan. I needed a way to get out of this store without being made into a chew toy. Or worse yet, a meal.

I stood up and started bolting around the store. The walkers could hear me. They were getting louder and moving more.

I started throwing things around. The groaning just got louder and louder. I needed to find something fast.

At some point, I don't know how long it took, I found the toy aisle. There were all kinds there. Toys that would move. Toys that would sing. At that moment I could never have been more greatful for the things that had tormented me for the years I had with my kids.

That last thought sent me over the edge. I started crying. I was a blubbering, crying, sniffling mess. But I found what I needed.

I went to the front door. I started banging on the door. The walkers made their way to the front door.

I took the music box I had found and started it. It was loud. Thank God. I dropped it on the ground and bolted out the back door.

When I made it to the line of the trees, I stopped. I bit my lip. I had left Daryl's bow laying by the blankets on the floor.

I had just took a step back towards the store when I heard a scream. It was masculine. Daryl would kill me if he knew I went back for his bow and there was a screaming man near it.

I would grab him and come back to get it later. Maybe it would still be there. After all, we still needed stuff for the baby.

And with that, I turned and kept running deeper into the forest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope you guys like this chapter :) I cannot tell you how thankful I am for everything you guys do. I never expected this story to grow the way it did.

Its over a year old now. Thank you again everyone. Remember to message me of you need me. I love you guys. ♥♡♥

~Breanna