Breaking These Walls~Chapter Thirty Five

*Maggie's POV*

I stood there for a while. I couldn't believe that that had just happened. What the hell? How am I supposed to explain this to Daryl?

Maybe it wouldn't bother him. After all, he needed to come to a decision about which one of these women he wanted most. There was almost no doubt in my mind that he would have chosen Sapphire.

Perhaps that's why Carol decided to leave. She could see it too. He was wrapped around Saph's finger.

When I finally gathered up the courage to go and make the announcement to the camp, Daryl was getting food. He only had one bowl, so he wasn't getting it for himself.

He reminded me of Glen in that way. He would put the people he loved first. He had always been that way, at least he had been since we had known him.

Beth and Carl were playing some kind of game over by one of the smaller cabins. Rick and Michonne were sitting on the steps of Sapphire's cabin, watching Judith play in the dirt.

Everyone had a smile on their face. For some reason or another. It was amazing to see. When was the last time everyone in camp had been happy?

I made my way over to Rick. "I need to announce something."

The smile dissolved off of his face. He was in full leader mode now. He rose to his feet. "Okay."

He grabbed a pot and started banging on it. Everyone who was outside turned their attention to me.

I cleared my throat. I couldn't help but watch Daryl. "Carol left us. She probably won't be back. At least, not for a while."

If I expected to see any kind of sadness in Daryl's eyes, I would be disappointed. They darkened for a split second, then he shrugged and carried the bowl of soup past me, Rick, and Michonne.

The camp was silent as the cabin door closed behind him.

*Carol's POV*

Maggie wasn't smart enough to know I wasn't gone yet. I was just inside the forest, hidden in the shadows. Daryl was the only one in the camp who would have been able to tell I wasn't gone. It was in his blood as a tracker.

After a while, Maggie turned and went back into the camp. She went to Rick first. Of course she would. That was her job. He was our leader.

Rick walked away from Michonne and his little girl to alert everyone to Maggie's announcement. I could hear everything from where I was. I could also see everything.

I just wanted to see how Daryl would react. I would still be gone, even if he freaked. I wanted him to be happy...I desperately wanted that. I just wanted him to be happy because of me a little bit more.

I bit my lip, shaking harder with each passing second. When Maggie finally finished, all Daryl did was shrug. Shrug, and take the soup he was getting for Sapphire back into the cabin.

My legs gave out from under me. He had been my foothold through the loss of my husband, the loss of my daughter, even the loss of myself.

My body was being racked by silent sobs. I don't know how long I stayed there. But when I was done, I was done. He had let me go.

Now I needed to let go too. I patted my pockets, double checking to make sure I had my knife, gun, and the ammo I needed for the gun.

I left my family behind.

*Daryl's POV*

I opened the cabin door. Sapphire's eyebrows were raised, causing a small wrinkle to appear between them. I smiled at the thought of me running my thumb over it, to try to smooth it out.

The door closed behind me as I walked toward her. Her small hands reached for the bowl, and I handed it to her.

Within three minutes, the food was gone. So much for taking it slow.

When she was done, she pulled her legs back up into the bed. A yawn slipped from her mouth. Dang it. That crap was contagious.

"Will you lay down with me?"

Her blue eyes were curious. "Please? I'm cold."

I slipped my bow onto the floor and crawled under the blankets next to her. Her bare legs tangled together with mine, and she rested her head on my chest as I slipped my arms around her back.

"Daryl, I heard Rick call a meeting. What happened?"

I sighed. Of course she would hear that. And of course, she would want to know what it was. I couldn't help pinching the bridge of my nose.

"Carol left us."

Sapphire didn't say anything for a while. I thought for sure she had fallen asleep. When I opened my eyes, she was staring at me.

"What?"

"You didn't go after her.", she said.

"Of course I didn't."

"Why?"

Her curiousity would wind up getting her killed eventually. "She just decided she could do better on her own."

"So you're not going anywhere?"

I shook my head. "I'm not going anywhere."

She snuggled her head on my neck, and was gone in a matter of seconds. Maybe I should have went after Carol.

Maybe I should have done something. Anything.

It was too late now. I had my Sapphire. She would have to be enough for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Short update guys. I'm sorry its been a while. I am so exhausted. XD

I hope everyone who celebrates Thanksgiving had a great one. :) It truly is a beautiful holiday.

I love you guys. Thank you for all of the support.

~Breanna