Breaking These Walls~Chapter Forty Four

*Sapphire's POV*

I don't know how long I had been running before I noticed that I was running in the wrong direction. Yay me. There were trees all around. I recognized nothing.

Right about now I wished that I hadn't decided to go on this little journey. Just because I felt like I had to get out of camp because life was unfair, I had lost my boyfriend's crossbow, I was lost in the woods, and I didn't have a way back. My stomach turned when I realized that I could easily die out here.

I leaned my back against a tree and pinched the bridge of my nose. As much as I loved Daryl, I was starting to wish this world never happened. He'd be okay without me anyway. He made it before, he could make it now.

Eventually I had to get moving again. I could hear groans coming from a short distance away. I needed to get out of here.

The only source of light was the little bit of moonlight that was pouring through the trees. Have you ever been alone at night? Imagine the fear you might have felt, but a billion times worse. That was what this was like. Every little shadow seemed to move, every little sound set my feet on edge.

I came to a tree that looked sturdy enough to climb. It was a small dogwood that still had flowers on it. It was beautiful.

I managed to drag my body into the tree with the last bit of energy I had. It wasn't long before I had fallen asleep again.

*Daryl's POV*

Was that a door I heard? I couldn't tell. I was too busy trying to get the walker off of my body. These things were heavier than they looked. Which is ironic considering most of them have lost most of their internal organs.

His teeth were less than two centimeters from my throat. I was about to become a hot pocket.

Then there was an arrow in the walker's head. Somebody had shot it. I threw the walker off of me, rolled onto my knees, and jumped to my feet. There was a group of teenagers there. Two girls and two guys.

The kid holding the crossbow had dark brown hair and brown eyes. His cheekbones were extremely high. He was part Native American. From the looks of this group, he was the leader. The other three held knives.

"Sean.", one of the girls said. She had a worried look in her eyes.

I looked back at the kid with my bow. "Give me that. It's mine."

The kid, Sean, smirked. "Oh, really now? Just like that woman running out the back of the store was your girlfriend?"

I felt heat rising in my throat. "Did you see her? Where did she go?"

"She ran out the back of the store. Towards the woods."

I needed to go find her. We needed to get back to camp. These kids couldn't possibly be on their own. "Well. I'm gonna go find her. You guys should come too, ya know."

The kid holding my crossbow hesitated. The girl that seemed to be attached to his hip bit her lip. They were thinking of what they should do. Finally Sean spoke up.

"I gotta get back to camp. We've got babies there. You should come back with us. Your girl is just as good as dead anyway. That area is a hotspot for walkers, as well as a few crazy people. I'm guessing they were outcasts from that camp you and your buddies attacked."

"How do you know about all of this?" These kids had probably been watching us for a long time. "And babies. Whose babies?"

Sean squared his shoulders. "Ours."

"Yours? As in yours yours?"

He nodded. "Some of them were found." He grabbed the girl's hand and squeezed it. "I'm pretty sure we've got more on the way."