Breaking These Walls~Chapter Forty Nine

*Jane's POV*

I followed Sean across the yard, over to where the rest of the kids were. In my mind I wondered if we would be safe here. After all, Sean had been watching them for a while. They had done some things that made me wary. But, hasn't everyone?

I loved Sean. I'm not sure why I did. And sometimes he acted like he loved me too. Sometimes, we were great. Other times I hated his guts and I knew he hated mine.

He had pulled me aside a few minutes earlier to talk about the new baby. Neither of us knew what to do. Baby formula was no longer existent. There were a few mothers in the camp who still nursed their babies. Shawna had been the one to step up for the first feeding, but she didn't produce enough milk to support her baby, plus the newborn.

"So what do you suggest we do?," Sean asked while we stood behind the cabin. "I have yet to see a walker as a newborn. I do not want to start now."

I bit my lip. "I don't know what to do, Sean. I'm not pregnant so I can't do it. Shawna can't because she has to be able to keep Keontay happy."

I saw his jaw stiffen. "Fine. I'll go discuss this with someone who actually wants to save that little girl."

I winced as he turned and walked away. I felt like I had just been slapped.

By now we had reached the other kids. They were all smiling and laughing, scarfing down pieces of the venison Daryl had gotten for them. Some couples were sitting around the fire, holding each other and watching their toddlers play with Rick's little girl.

I smiled a little. Imagine how lonely little Judith had been with nobody but bitter adults, walkers, and complaining teens for company.

She reminded me of myself in that way. Before the apocalypse, I had been a nobody. Nobody would have missed me if I had been bitten. My mother was dead, and my father stayed high constantly. Then I saved Sean's life, pulled him out of a deep dark hole, and here I was.

"Everyone!"

Their heads snapped up. They always did when Sean spoke. They owed him everything.

"As you all know, there was a baby born just a few hours before we left our camp. Her mother died bringing her into this world."

There were a few shocked faces. Others looked at the ground. Some cried. Others looked pissed.

"Now we don't have a way to feed her."

Everyone looked at each other then, no doubt wondering what we would do or how we would handle it.

I heard a twig snap behind me. I whirled around ready to flee if I needed to.

There was a girl standing there. She had blonde hair, and she was carrying the baby. What was her name? Bertha?

"Hi. I'm Beth."

Sean stepped in front of me and grabbed her free hand to shake it. "Sean. This is Jane."

"Forgive me for interrupting... But did you say you don't have a way to feed her?"

Sean nodded. "That's right. I don't want anything to happen to her. We all know what it means if..."

Everybody knew what it meant. It meant that, if you died, you would be reborn. Not in the religious sense, but rather in the snapping-my-teeth, I-wanna-eat-your-face off terms. Not good.

Beth gave us a small smile. "I think I know somebody that could help you."

*Daryl's POV*

I woke up with water on my face. I sat straight up to clear my head. Was that real? Did I really lose not only Sapphire but my little girl as well?

The anger started bubbling up again. It took all of my strength not to jump up and start screaming, hitting, throwing, killing.

When I finally got relaxed enough I walked outside. The kids were still in their little groups. Our group still hung back, wary, except for Beth, Judith, and Carl. Beth was holding the little baby I had saved.

They were talking about something. I saw Sean not his head in agreement to something. He glanced over his shoulder and said something to the young girl who was always joined at his hip. She nodded too, then Beth started walking towards the cabin that had been reserved for Glen and Maggie.

Rick walked up then and put his hand on the banister of the stairs. He followed my line of sight. "You're worried about her, aren't you?"

My jaw stiffened. I let out a small grunting sound. "Ain't you?"

Rick looked at the ground. "I always worry about kids in this world."

"Rick, the kids born in this time. This is all they will know. Worry about the people that didn't grow up in this world. They are the ones that are crazy. They got spoiled to the food, the heating, the cooling. They were pampered. Like spoiled children."

Rick looked up then. "Yeah. I guess you're right."

"You wanna know when you need to start worrying about the kids in this generation? When you need to start worrying about Judith?"

He stared at me. "You need to worry about them if the world ever goes back to normal. You need to worry about them not being able to trust. They won't want to go anywhere without a weapon. They'll be broken."

Rick still stared. "They'll be broken. Just like we are broken. Hell, hasn't the world always been broken?"

I walked down the stairs. Before I knew what I was doing, I was in Glen and Maggie's cabin. She had her chest covered with a blanket. There was a small lump underneath it. I guess they had found a way to feed her.

I stepped back outside. That wasn't something I wanted to intrude on. I would get to see her whenever she was finished.

Within just a few minutes, Sean and his girl left the cabin. They walked back over to the other kids. I turned and opened the door, being sure to peek in before I saw something I didn't need to.

Beth was holding the little baby girl in her arms. Maggie was sitting on the bed with Glen close beside her. They were all laughing and smiling because the little girl had a tiny smile on her face.

Beth saw me first. I saw the grief flash across her face. It was written on all of their faces. Maggie stood up, keeping one hand on her swollen belly. She walked to me and wrapped her arms around my neck. "I'm so sorry Daryl."

Glen walked over to us. He lifted his hand and squeezed my shoulder hard.

Beth came over last. Tears were gathered in her eyes. "I'm sorry Daryl. I hate this happened to you."

We all stood there in silence. My eyes trailed to the baby.

Beth followed my eyes to where I was looking. "You saved her Daryl. Wanna hold her?"

Beth handed me the baby. She was wrapped in a dirty pink blanket. She still reminded me of a burrito.

As soon as I thought this, she started smiling. I couldn't help but smile myself. Maggie, Glen, and Beth did the same. "So. What's her name, hero?"

We all whipped around to see who spoke behind us. Sean stood there. "Well? She needs a name. You gonna give her one or not?"

I looked at her for a minute. I knew what I wanted to name her before I said it. "Her name is Montana. Montana Rain."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay here you go guys. :) I hope you like this. I'm in tears writing this in math class lol. I love you all and thank you so so so much for everything you have done. <3

~Breanna