Breaking These Walls~Chapter Twenty Six

*Daryl's POV*

As bad as life is now, you couldn't deny the beauty that was still there. Thoughts like these always passed through my mind when I walked through the forest. Even though the dead were walking the earth, there was still life.

Proof of this walked out right in front of me. There was a beautiful doe standing in the middle of a small clearing in the trees. Her ears were raised as she looked around. She was checking the area for danger.

I raised my crossbow. She would be a good meal for the camp. Sapphire would need protein to help her heal when she woke up. She would wake up.

Just before I could send the arrow flying, the bushed behind her moved. She looked over her shoulders so she could watch the bushes, and out stepped a tiny fawn.

He was so little, walking on spindly legs. He couldn't have been more than two days old.

I lowered my crossbow so I could watch them better. The baby walked up to his mother and rubbed his head on the side of her leg. She nuzzled him towards her stomach.

It was amazing how she protected him. I found myself wondering if Maggie would be like that with her baby. She and Glenn were going to make amazing parents.

As with anything, the moment passed. After her baby was done nursing, she led him away through the trees.

*Carol's POV*

It had been about an hour since Daryl had left. Maggie was in the cabin with me. She was checking up on Sapphire's condition.

"Her pulse is a lot stronger. I'm hoping she's gonna pull through this. Daryl needs her."

I felt my jaw clench. "You and I both know that isn't true Maggie. Daryl doesn't need anybody. He never has."

"Everyone needs somebody, Carol. Everyone. Daryl may be a hero, but he's human just like the rest of us."

Maggie stood up and walked out of the cabin. I sat down with my back against the wall, watching the girl that ruined my life sleep.

Maybe I should stop acting like this. It really wasn't Sapphire's fault. It wasn't Daryl's either. You can't help who you fall in love with. I don't care who you are.

Eventually I couldn't stand sitting still any longer. I decided to take a walk outside.

This place really was pretty stable. The fences looked pretty strong, although in reality the spikes that lined them kept walkers away from the fence or gates.

Maybe we really could make it here. Maybe this wouldn't turn out to be a failure like every other attempt to settle down.

Maybe this could be the stable environment our children needed.

*Carl's POV*

My nerves felt like they were pulled tight, kinda like a rope when you were playinh tug-of-war. I missed playing games like that. I missed the normal lives we used to have.

That was in the past now. There was no going back. I remember hearing my Mom cry herself to sleep at night because she had decided to bring a baby into this mess.

Judith wouldn't have the memories I had. She wouldn't get to go to fairs, do cake walks, color in a coloring book, go to school. She wouldn't get anything but a world full of monsters that could scare a thirty-seven year old man who was six foot five inche's tall to death.

Beth dropped back from Glen's side. "You okay?"

No. I wasn't okay.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just thinking."

"That's what I do a lot of the time. Just think."

"Can I ask you something?"

Beth smiled at me. "Of course. You can talk to me about anything."

"How do you think our lives would be different if none of this had ever happened?"

She focused her eyes on Glen. I could see her chewing the inside of her cheek, the way she always did when she was thinking hard.

"I don't really know Carl. By now, I would probably have graduated high school. I would probably be in college. Maybe even waiting for my boyfriend to propose to me."

I could see that. Easily. Beth was one of those people that you just know would have been great. You know, if the world hadn't went to shit.

"But I don't dwell on that.", she continued. "That life is dead. So are many people that were in it."

We made it to the farm about an hour after we left. I broke into a run to get to the farmhouse. I prayed once again that my father would be okay.

When I busted through the door, Mica was there. She had her finger pressed against her lips. Why were these girls so bossy?

I missed having power too. It was really dark in the living room of Hershel's old house.

I found the curtains and pulled them back. Moonlight spilled through the windows, illuminating the whole room.

When I turned around my dad was smiling at me. There was a small bundle in his arms. I felt the color disappear from my face.

My baby sister was alive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's a short update guys. Hope you like it!

Thank you again for all of the support. You have no idea how much it means to me.

I love you guys so much. <3

~Breanna