Breaking These Walls~Chapter Sixty

*Kidnapper's POV*

My arm was pouring blood. A bullet had hit it while we were trying to get the child back to the lab. Damn these people. How did they know get their weapons back? They were supposed to have been on lockdown.

I took my badge off and scanned it to open the door back into the lab. Once the door opened, I stumbled into the hallway. Everything was beginning to go dark around the edges. No. No no no. If I died from blood loss I would turn. I didn't want to become a monster. Not after fighting so long to find a cure for this virus. We were close. So close.

Finally I reached the final door to the lab. My badge was slick with the bright red liquid dripping off of my fingertips. It took several tries before the door finally slid back and revealed the room where we had been keeping an eye on our test subjects.

"Sandra? Oh no, Sandra! What happened?"

I lifted my eyes from the floor. David stood there watching me, his face painted with shock. "I didn't get the child. Hell," I laughed, "I don't even know that any of us is still alive. I ran after they started shooting. Well. Not like that did much good. I'm still bleeding. A lot."

"Oh. Right!" David ran to grab a chair for me to sit in.

Once I sat down he ran down the hall and returned a few seconds later with some thread and a needle. Great. We had no anaesthetic. I was going to be awake for all of this.

David lifted my arm to look for an exit wound. I had to bite down hard on the rag that was in between my teeth to keep from screaming.

"Well. The good news is that there is an exit wound. So the bullet went through your skin."

I nodded my head. There was no way in hell I was gonna try taking this rag out to speak.

He started pushing the needle and thread through my skin repeatedly, over and under, until it was finally sewed together.

About forty minutes later, David was done stitching my arm. One glance at my arm showed that it looked like a professional had done it. Dr. Gheller had done a good job training him.

"Thanks David. This means a lot to me."

He smiled. "Sure thing."

We walked to the window of the test room together. Rhee was still strapped down tight to his table. His skin was an unusual shade of white for an asian. He was still covered in sweat. Even from here we could see his eyes moving rapidly behind his closed eyelids.

"Still any idea on whether he is turning or not?"

David's expression became unsure. "It's hard to tell. He's showing the symptoms of someone who is trying to turn. But he's not exactly turning either. I can expect that this is how he may have reacted the first time he was bitten. Granted, walker blood itself is much stronger than the saliva."

I nodded. "Yeah. That makes sense. Listen. We have to be careful and we need to make sure that this place is secure. We can't risk someone getting in. If they do, we are all as good as dead. They took out the whole team besides me I'm guessing. No one else has come back yet."

"Okay. We'll initiate lockdown immediately."

*Carl's POV*

I had Judith in my arms. She was screaming with pain every time my feet hit the floor in front of me. Michonne was two steps behind me with Grace wrapped in her arms. We could see what looked like an exit just ahead.

We slowed down as we got closer to the large door. Michonne's fingers fumbled with the effort of grabbing the keycard they had gotten from one of the dead officers.