Breaking These Walls~Chapter Fifty

*Daryl's POV*

Sean slapped me on the back. "That's a pretty name, hero. Hopefully she will live up to it."

Sean turned back to the door and left. I turned around to face the rest of my family. Every one of them was smiling from ear to ear.

"Well, Daddy Dixon," Beth said," What now?"

I looked back down at little Montana. Her little brown eyes were drifitng closed. She was sleepy.

"Er...As much as I want to, I can't hold her all night. Plus I don't wanna break her...Does she have a place to sleep?"

Everyone kind of just stood there. Of course. That was a stupid question. This camp had been housing forty-year-old men, not children, let alone babies.

"Well what do we do then?"

Rick spoke up. "When Carl was first born, Lori didn't want to leave him in his crib all the time. She laid out pillows on the bed and put him in the middle of them. Not that she is gonna roll off the bed, but you can't be too careful."

I nodded. "So...Where are we gonna put her?"

Beth had her eyebrow raised. "There's a reason I called you Daddy Dixon Daryl. I will help you, though. Let's get a move on."

I grunted as Beth moved toward the door. I had no idea what the hell I was doing. Beth would wind up having to stay in my cabin constantly. I don't wanna be responsible for killing my tiny burrito.

Within minutes we were in my cabin. Beth was looking around with her hands on her hips, inspecting every inch of it to make sure everything was safe for Montana.

"You don't have a whole lot in here. What's that?"

She had her arm raised, pointing at the two pieces of deerskin lying outside the back door. I guess I had left it open when I had laid it out to dry.

"It's deer skin from that kill I brought in earlier. I'm drying it out for blankets, or maybe a jacket."

"Blanket. She needs a blanket, Daryl."

I nodded. "Okay...Part of it will go towards a blanket."

She smiled. "Okay now.. Back to setting her bed up."

Beth walked around the cabin, gathering everything she could find to keep Montana from falling off the bed.

By the time she was done, we had a ring of pillows, backpacks, and even an empty arrow quiver on the bed. I could feel my eyebrows pinched together and my mouth pulled down into a frown. Was I really up for this?

"Well?," Beth said. "Are you gonna put her down so she can sleep or not?"

"Hold your horses, woman, I am working on it."

Beth laughed as I started walking towards the bed. I gathered my hands under her small head and her little legs as I gently laid her right in the middle of all the odds-and-ends objects.

Montana let out a tiny coo before closing her eyes. Her chest started rising and falling to a slower beat. She was out like a light.

"Beth...I ain't sure I can be a Daddy."

Beth rolled her eyes. "Dixon, if anyone can do this, I know you can. And so does Sapphire. Remember, she's right here with you, guiding you through every little struggle. You aren't doing this alone."

She squeezed my shoulder before walking out of the cabin, leaving me alone with the little girl I was suddenly supposed to be the father of.

I found an extra blanket in the closet of the cabin and rolled it out on the floor. Might as well get some sleep while I could.