Breaking These Walls~Chapter Thirty Six

*Carol's POV*

I kept walking away from the small family I had managed to make. I would miss Beth and her caring heart. I would miss Carl, who had the heart of his mother and the bravery of his father. I would miss Maggie and her cooking.

I would miss Daryl and his crooked smile. I would miss everything he did. Everything he ever was.

This was going to be for the best.

I listened as my shoes snapped twigs. I could hear the groans of the walkers in the distance. They weren't too terribly close, and there didn't appear to be a lot of them.

In this world, you had to have good ears. You had to be able to know when someone or something was watching you.

I made it back to the farm after what seemed like hours. The sun was sinking behind the trees, and the sky looked like blood. I felt a shiver run through my body.

Maybe I could stay here. There weren't any walkers anymore. I could easily outrun them if too many showed up anyway. There was a huge house, plus a basement that still held a few supplies.

But what if the others needed those supplies?

I decided to stay at the house for the night. Then I would continue moving on.

Once I was inside and I had locked the doors behind me, I made a palette on the living room floor. The moon was directly in front of the house now.

I hugged my knees to my chest and rested my chin on them. This farm was the last place I had seen my daughter.

I wondered where she was now. In Heaven? Was her father there?

For the first time in a long time, I felt fear at the thought of my husband. Surely God wasn't going to let that monster into Heaven?

Then again, was there a God? How could He do this? How could He turn people into flesh eating beasts?

I hadn't thought about these things in a long time. I hadn't had time to. I was too busy trying to take care of everyone, trying to help keep everything together.

A sigh escaped my lungs. I needed to find another group, and fast. It wasn't good for me to be alone.

My thoughts would only distract me. They would only get me killed.

*Daryl's POV*

The moonlight was spilling in through the windows. It washed over the wooden floor, and onto the bed where we lay.

Sapphire had her head resting on my chest. Her brown hair was still matted together in knots. Her eyelids were still blue. I found myself wondering how she had managed to fall asleep when she had been out for so long.

Carol. Carol. Carol.

I would miss her. Hopefully she would change her mind and come back. We would need her in case....

Maggie.

What were we going to do about the baby? None of us knew how in the hell to do a C-Section. Well...Unless Maggie herself counts. She had to do one on Lori when Judith was born.

That got me thinking. Before all of this started, I had never given much thought to my personal life. I just wanted to stay around my brother. I never wanted a girl for anything more than a good time in the bedroom, I never wanted kids...

I regret that. I want that with Sapphire. I want everything with Sapphire.

Too bad it was too late for all of that.

Sapphire said my name in her sleep. I looked at her face and her eyebrows were pinched together like she was thinking really hard.

I pressed my fingers to her forhead between them. Her face smoothed out and her mouth turned to a crooked smile.

Gah she was so cute. Even when she was sleeping.

*Sapphire's POV*

I woke up when the sunshine hit my face. It was so warm. I took in a deep breath. You could almost feel the peace.

Daryl had his arms around me. His face was slack, which made him look younger. He looked carefree. I hadn't seen him do this at all since I had known him.

I don't know how long I had spent watching him before he finally woke up. I couldn't help but smile at him. "Were you watching me?"

I nodded my head. "I like to watch you sleep. It's cute."

He groaned. "Why do you say stuff like that?"

I smiled at him again. "It's just the truth."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry I haven't updated in a while guys. Its been absolutely crazy.

Thank you again for all the support everyone :) It means so much to me. I love you all! <3

~Breanna