Breaking These Walls~Chapter Thirty Nine

*Daryl's POV*

Sapphire's heartbeat pounded underneath my ear. Her bare skin was against mine. Birds were chirping all around us, the sun starting to set.

"I think we should head back to camp."

I hated to admit it but she was right. I rolled off of her, putting my elbows under my back to prop myself up.

She stood up and walked over to her clothes. I couldn't help staring as she pulled her jeans over the smooth curve of her hip.

After watching her put her clothes on I started dressing myself. That was amazing. Every minute with her was amazing, but this...This was different.

Again, I thought back to all the women before the apocalypse. They had never been anything like this. They made my heart race, just not from love, not the way Saph does it.

I slipped my jacket on over my arms. When I turned back around, she had my crossbow hanging over her shoulder with a smirk on her face.

"Still think I need to learn how to handle a man's weapon?"

I rolled my eyes. "Certain ones, yes."

*Sapphire's POV*

I laughed, jabbing him in the ribs as we walked. We hadn't managed to get any food for the camp, but there was plenty already there. Enough for the next couple of days anyway.

We stayed quiet the rest of the way to camp. My heart felt like it was going to burst. Even though that was the second time we...You know, it felt just like the first. I love my Daryl. I think he loves me.

He banged on the gate to the camp. Within a minute Maggie, Glen, and Beth were there. "Took yall long enough."

Glen had his eyebrow raised. "It really did."

"Shut up Korea." Glen smiled when he heard Daryl's nickname.

We all turned to walk back toward the camp. I loved this place, and everyone here. We had just sat down around the fire place when Carl came around the corner. He looked pissed off.

"What's wrong little buddy?", Daryl said.

"Lizzie. She's being a little creep again."

I remembered Carol saying something about Lizzie naming the walkers. Her sister and some of the other kids had joined in, until their father was killed in an attack from flu-killed walkers.

"What's she doing?", I asked.

"She won't give me Judith. She keeps-"

A scream erupted from behind one of the cabins. We all flew to our feet and bolted back behind the building.

Beth was trying to wrestle Judith out of Lizzie's hands. I froze. Lizze was trying to let a walker on the outside of the fence bite Judith.

"What in the hell?!" Daryl ran over to try to help Beth get Judith away from Lizzie.

Eventually, the baby came away from the little girl. She was crying at the top of her lungs. I couldn't even begin to move.

When they had snatched the baby away from her, Lizzie flew backward into the fence. The walker's snapping jaws closed around her throat.

She screamed. I could hear the blood gurgling in her throat.

*Glen's POV*

Nobody moved when Lizzie screamed. How could we? She was gone now.

She was becoming the monster she was always trying to say was innocent.

Lizzie fell to the ground. Sapphire's feet suddenly started pounding across the ground. She had Lizzie in her arms within seconds. Her eyes were pouring tears.

Daryl approached her. His hand found her shoulder as he kneeled down. "You know what we have to do."

"I know." Sapphire's voice was low, barely more than a whisper. "Give me a knife."

I stepped forward. She took the pocket knife I held out for her, and stabbed it into the little girl's brain.

*Sapphire's POV*

I felt Daryl's arms slide under Lizzie's body and lift her away from me. I wondered where her sister was. How she would react to this.

It wasn't fair. It wasn't fair how we got to experience this beautiful, amazing thing just before a beautiful little girl was stolen from us, her heart stopped forever.

I'm not sure how long I sat there. I just know that it was dark when I finally stood up.

There were a few people around the fire when I found my way back in front of the cabin. "Where's Daryl?"

One of the people from Woodbury, Merlin, pointed to one of the cabins. I walked towards it and opened the door.

I couldn't see much besides a shirtless figure standing in the light of a lantern. When it turned to face me, I saw that it was Glen.

He smiled at me. I smiled back. Then I saw his arm.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another update tonight guys. XD I figured I could do this.

If anyone has never read Divergent or seen the movie, I strongly recommend you do.

I love it so much!!!! And I love you guys too!!!! Thank you for everything!!!!

XD <3

~Breanna