Breaking These Walls~Chapter Forty

*Sapphire's POV*

I couldn't even begin to speak. His arm was scabbed over. I could see the stitch marks in his skin. I could see where teeth had shredded the skin before it was stitched.

How was he still alive? How had he managed to escape the fate of so many others? The fate my own children had met?

I don't know what came over me. Before I could register what I was doing, I flew at him.

He dodged to the side, and I hit the ground hard. It was all I could do not to scream. They were still a little tender, and mine and Daryl's...time in the woods hadn't helped.

I stood up again. Glen was staring at me, his eyes were wide. He was scared. I admit, I was scaring myself.

I screamed again and jumped at him another time.

*Daryl's POV*

I hated what happened to Lizzie. I hated it even worse for her sister, who had nobody but her now that Carol was gone. I felt a pang of guilt at that thought.

Speaking of Mica, I hadn't seen her since the incident. I needed to go find her, ask her if she was gonna be okay. Which made no sense.

Mica was nowhere near as strong as Lizzie. Nowhere near. But, because Lizzie couldn't see the world for what it was, she was weaker, too. At least to an extent.

I was walking towards the cabins when I saw Sapphire standing in the doorway of the one Maggie and Glen had been staying in. I could tell by the set of her shoulders that there was something wrong.

I blinked. Just once. And she was gone. I heard an ear splitting scream. Another second later, Glen was standing in the doorway where Sapphire had been a moment earlier.

He looked bewildered. Can't say I blame him. What had her so upset?

Then I remembered. She must have seen his arm. He was shirtless, after all. And how else was she supposed to react? She'd lost a lot of people to the bite. All of us had, but she had lost her own kids. Kind of like the way Carol did.

Glen barely made it out the door before Sapphire flew through it. He ran past me, Sapphire somehow picking herself up after slamming into the ground at an inceedible speed.

When she tried to run past me, I slipped my arms around her waist. She was running so fast, she pulled me down to the ground on top of her.

She was screaming and kicking as hard as she could. "Saph, calm down. Please calm down!"

She managed to flip over on her back. She started pounding her fists against my chest. It hurt.

I winced as I took her arms by the wrists and pinned them to the ground. She was still crying, screaming over and over again that it wasn't fair.

Eventually, her cries turned into quiet sobs. She looked up at me. Her eyes communicated so much heart break, so much hurt.

I kissed her cheek. "I'm sorry Sapphire. I am. But you know that you can't blame Glen. It isn't his fault."

Her breathing slowed. "I know you miss your kids. I miss my brother. Rick misses his wife. We all lost somebody. But think about this. If we can figure out how Glen is immune, or perhaps how to make some kind of vaccine, we can stop this. We can keep people from losing each other to this....Whatever you wanna call whatever makes walkers whatever they are."

I stayed on top of her for probably another ten minutes until she finally stopped shaking and her breathing had calmed down.

*Glen's POV*

We watched Daryl. His legs were on either side of Sapphire's body, holding her arms over her head. She was shaking, probably crying.

I had never seen her like that. It hurt. Even though she hadn't been there all that long, she was still a part of our family. She always would be now.

I bit my lip and turned my attention to Maggie. She had showed up at some point when I was watching Daryl try to calm Saph down.

She had a grim look on her face. "It's not your fault babe."

I nodded my head. "I know, but I still don't like seeing her hurt."

Maggie shook her head. "None of us do. But you have to remember. Things take time to fix. People even more so."

She wasn't wrong there.

*Sapphire's POV*

After what seemed like forever, I stopped shaking. Daryl climbed off of me, and offered me his hand. I took it.

Once I was standing up, I saw Glen out of the corner of my eye. He was standing next to Maggie, his skin a sickly white compared to its normally dark color.

His hand was on her stomach, where a small bump was beginning to form. I had to look away.

I didn't know I had that capability. The capability to kill someone. To kill someone who wasn't even to blame. To kill someone just because the world was unfair.

Daryl and I made it to a cabin. He sat me down on the bed, and helped me lay down. I never went to sleep that night, even when he had his arms around me and his chest was pressed against my back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here's a short update guys. XD Thank you so much for all of the support. I love reading your comments.

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Mine has been amazing so far.

The boy I've had a crush on for the past three years asked me out. I'm so excited. :3 If I don't write anything for a really long time, you know why.

Thank you again everyone. I never expected this. I love you all so much. ♥♡♥♡♥♡♥

~Breanna