Breaking These Walls~Chapter Twelve

*Sapphire's POV*

We all stared, open mouthed in horror when we saw the blood spread across Rick's shirt and he collapsed to his knees.

"Dad!", Carl screamed. Everything seemed to be frozen. Suddenly, Daryl bolted forward, Glen and I following shortly.

Rick was on his side now, struggling to breathe. His mouth was pouring blood. He would die if we didn't do something here and now. Thank God I had helped Hershel a time or two with kids that had managed to get hurt. But, then again, it wasn't a gun shot room.

I tore my jacket off of my back as quick as I could, helping Glen get Rick on his back. I tore his shirt open, seeing the gunshot wound. It was a strong weapon. A .44 magnum pistol, judging by the bullet wound size.

The bullet had exited out of his back, so it was a good thing we wouldn't have to cut him open further. But he was still bleeding heavily. I glanced at Daryl, who quite honestly looked horrified. Him and Rick were best friends.

I slid my jacket under his back, and tied the arms around his torso. It wasn't tight enough. Not near tight enough. They would never get him back to the farm before he died if we didn't get something else.

"Daryl. I need your jacket.", I whispered.

It was his favorite. The one with angel wings on the back. He gave it up easily though. He wasn't one for material possessions. People are what mattered to him. That was one reason that everyone loved him.

Daryl's jacket made the binding tighter. Rick would be lucky to live, but it was all we had. "Glen, Daryl, take him back to the camp. We will follow you. But first, we are going to find out who did this."

*Daryl's POV*

I looked at Sapphire the way a slug might look at a container of salt. "You can't be serious."

As always, she was. "I can handle myself Daryl. Carl here is a good shot. We will be fine. If anything, we can climb through the trees. I was a gymnast, and Carl is a fast learner. We'll be back before nightfall."

I still didn't want to leave her. I had one of Rick's arms slung around my shoulder, Glen had the other. She stepped forward, kissing my cheek lightly. "Hurry Daryl. He doesn't have a chance if you don't leave now."

I nodded, pulling Rick towards camp. When we reached the edge of the trees, I looked back. Sapphire and Carl were at the other side of the clearing, near the trees. She was looking back at me too.

For the first time ever, I prayed. I prayed that they would make it back somehow. Funny how I said I was the only one with sense around here when everyone else prayed about Sophia.

*Sapphire's POV*

I looked back at Daryl. He looked so worried. I hoped we would make it back. I would never forgive myself if something happened to Carl.

We were walking quietly. "So... Where were you guys?," I asked Carl.

"Dad and I were the last people to leave. There was nobody else around, so we really didn't know where to go. Eventually, we came across a small abandoned cabin. We stayed there for a couple of nights, but a herd came through. It looked like hundreds of walkers, maybe even thousands. Where did you guys go? It must be pretty safe considering you guys look to be completely intact."

"We went to Hershel's farm. The barn is gone, but that appears to be the only damage that was done. The house is still standing, and there are no walkers."

He stopped short, motioning me to get down. I crouched down, bending my knees. Sure enough, there were twigs snapping and voices coming this way. These were most likely the people that had shot Rick. A surge of pure anger went through me.

I would have leaped on whoever it was if I hadn't seen who it was. Tyreese had little Lizzie and Mika following close to him, both of them carrying pistols. He nearly shot us when he saw us.

"Sapphire? Carl? What're you doing here? Where have you been?"

Tears filled the little girl's eyes when they saw Carl. They had never really been close to him, but that didn't matter when the world had basically ended and you just found somebody you knew.

Then I remembered why we were here. "Did you guys fire your weapons a few minutes ago?"

Tyreese looked stunned. "No. Why? What's happened?"

"Rick was shot. In the clearing. Back that way." I pointed to indicate the direction the clearing was in. "We're looking for whoever shot him. It'll be safer with five of us instead of just two."

"Tyreese, what are you-?", Carol said as she stepped out of the trees.

*Daryl's POV*

We made it to the farm in no time. Maggie saw us coming, and prepared the loving room. "Gosh, were is Carol when you need her..., " I muttered. She needed to be here. She knew how to do stitches.

Hershel should have given lessons to more people.

Maggie knelt on the floor next to Rick, who had passed out at some point during our long journey. She had a needle and thread in her hand, getting ready to try and stitch him up. But she was shaking. So bad I thought she was going to puncture something else.

Suddenly the door banged open, and there stood Carol. My jaw hit the floor. She had appeared out of nowhere.

"Maggie. Move."

She knelt down by Rick and started sewing him back up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, Carol is back. Daryl's angel wing jacket saved a life. Anything can happen next. And that is why I love The Walking Dead. :)

~Breanna