vi.

"Now, we have two changes in staffing this year." Dumbledore spoke as Leo watched Harry look around him, the boy's eyebrows scrunching up before he followed Harry's train of sight. He scowled at Seamus as the boy just looked away, Leo looking back in time to see Harry look around anxiously. The boy sighed, patting Harry's shoulder before folding his arms and laying his head on them, looking back at the Headmaster. Harry smiled softly at the gesture as he looked past Hermione to look at Dumbledore too. "We're pleased to welcome back Professor Grubbly-Plank who'll be taking care of Magical Creatures while Professor Hagrid is on temporary leave." Leo sighed as he rather enjoyed Hagrid as a Professor.

"We also wish to welcome our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Delores Umbridge. And I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing the Professor good luck." Dumbledore joked, Leo snickering before his smile dropped, seeing that preppy woman from the hearing still dressed in pink. The boy rolled his eyes as Dumbledore continued, "Now, as usual, our caretaker, Mr Filch, has asked me to remind yo-" "ahem!" Leo jumped and raised his head, looking to Professor Umbridge with everybody else in he Hall. She stood up as she remained eye contact with Dumbledore, walking to the podium without a word. The click of the woman's heels were the only noise that filled the Hall as Harry spoke. "She was at our hearing. She works for Fudge." Harry told Hermione, her looking back as Leo nodded.

"Thank you, Headmaster, for those kind words of welcome. And how lovely to see all your bright, happy faces smiling up at me." Leo's eyebrows raised as he looked around the Great Hall, most people snickering at the woman. "I'm sure we're all going to be very good friends." Leo's cough interrupted the silence as Umbridge looked towards him, the boy giving her a tight smile as he nodded, Umbridge doing the same. "That's likely." The twins chorused, everyone else silent as they stared at Umbridge bored. "The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be a vital importance." Umbridge continued to speak, McGonagall watching as Leo rolled his eyes for the second time as he hid his face in his arms, not listening.

"Although each Headmaster has brought something new to this historic school,...progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged. Let us preserve what must be preserved, perfect what can be perfected and prune practices that ought to be prohibited." Umbridge spoke, Leo slowly looking up. "Is she done yet?" He spoke aloud, everyone looking towards him as he looked like a deer in the headlights, looking at the table as the twins laughed. McGonagall shook her head trying to hide her laugh as Umbridge sighed, not liking Leo already. She chuckled, more like cackled, as she walked away back to her seat, Leo finally looking up to see everyone clapping, him smiling in relief as he applauded half-heartedly.

"Thank you, Professor Umbridge. That really was most illuminating." Dumbledore spoke over the students, Leo snickering as Umbridge scowled at the boy. "Illuminating?" Ron asked, looking back at his friends as Dumbledore continued to speak, Leo shrugging. "What a load of waffle." Ron continued, the two nodding as Hermione hit Leo, Harry leaning back. "That was rude!" Hermione whisper shouted, Leo shrugging. "No offense 'Mione, but she's an earache." Leo defended himself, Harry and Ron not getting involved as Umbridge watched from the Teacher's table, leaning to McGonagall and Snape. "That boy's hard work, isn't he?" She spoke, McGonagall looking towards the woman confused, Snape deciding to ignore them both.

"I beg your pardon?" McGonagall asked, Umbridge looking towards her. "Leonardo Black. He seems to always be the centre of attention wherever her goes and that's not good in certain situations." Umbridge spoke, McGonagall hiding her rage with a shrug, motioning she's not saying anything, Snape inviting himself into the conversation. "He's always had that flare, Professor." Snape drawled, McGonagall watching as Leo ran a hand through his hair, the woman concerned for the boy's well-being. His dark circles were more prominent than before and he looked too pale as he rested his head on his hand. "What's it mean?" Harry asked, Hermione looking to Dumbledore as she answered.