4.5 Madness

The compound was bright and elegantly decorated for Christmas. Last night, I spent most of my time putting up the large Christmas tree and the rest of the decorations as I prepared for Rebekah to come home. Elijah had left early this morning to retrieve his sister, and I thought it was only fitting that the place would be up to her standards when she got here. Christmas was her favorite holiday. I wanted everything to be perfect for her, especially considering the hell she's been through.

Cami sat across from me in the chair, sipping on some hot chocolate. One of the maids came into the room, taking a knife and slicing open her palm to allow some blood to drain into an empty cup. Cami raised her eyebrows at her in confusion, "Do they, like, pay you?"

"Handsomely, and with a generous Christmas bonus," Klaus answered her question as he walked into the room. "Isn't that right?"

The maid nodded and handed him the cup as she left to treat her hand. Cami watched him sit down with narrowed eyes. "So you just compel her to nod and agree with whatever you say?" She asked him.

"I compel her to feed me, and to hang the occasional Christmas ornament. She can say whatever the hell she wants," Klaus corrected her as he sipped on the blood. "Addie, the place looks great. I'm sure Rebekah will be very impressed with your handiwork."

"Thank you, Klaus," I nodded at him.

Cami looked between us and smiled. "This is nice. Seeing the two of you get along again. What's the occasion?" She wondered.

"It's Christmas," I replied with a shrug. "But don't worry. As soon as New Years rolls around I'll go back to hating his guts."

"Don't let her fool you, Camille, she's starting to warm up to me again," Klaus teased and winked at me.

"Keep dreaming," I rolled my eyes.

"But seriously, why didn't you two go with Elijah to help Rebekah?" Cami asked us. "I hope it's not here to stay and babysit me."

"It's not a good idea for he and I to spend hours together in confined spaces," Klaus confessed with a sigh. "Given that the prophecy foretells one family member felling another."

"You don't think he would hurt you?" Cami shook her head.

"I don't know what to think. That damn fortune teller's predictions continue to unfold, despite all our efforts," Klaus continued in a stressed voice.

Cami looked at me, "And what about you?"

"I wanted to give Elijah some time to spend with his sister. And I wanted to keep you company," I answered honestly. Elijah wanted me to come with him, but I knew he and Rebekah had some catching up to do. I could wait a few more hours to see them.

Cami's phone suddenly buzzed in her pocket as she pulled it out to look at the message. "It's Vincent. I have to go," she announced as she stood up.

Klaus and I both stood up at the same time. "I'll come with you," he offered.

"No, no, it's fine. You guys stay here and wait for Rebekah. I'll be right back," she told us before grabbing her coat and leaving.

Klaus and I exchanged an uneasy glance as we watched her walk away. I really didn't like the idea that she was going out there alone, but I had to trust her. And I knew Vincent wasn't going to let anything happen to her.

The compound became quiet as we both realized it was just the two of us, aside from the maids. Elijah was gone to get Rebekah and Freya was running some errands. Klaus and I hadn't been alone together like this since he cursed me and the rest of the wolves. The holidays must have been wearing off on me because I didn't have the normal urge to wail on him.