3.9 Old Times

I woke up the next morning with Elijah's arm slung over my torso and his handsome face nuzzled in the crook of my neck. His touch felt so foreign after being away from him so long that I almost forgot what it was like. I stared absentmindedly out my bedroom window, remembering about the time I woke up and found Klaus in my kitchen. It was the first time he showed up here and told me all about this world. I wasn't as scared of him as I should've been. If only I knew what kind of person he really was.

"Good morning," Elijah's raspy voice interrupted my thoughts as his brown eyes drowsily opened. I rolled over and pressed my lips against his, smiling against him, "Good morning."

"What's on your agenda for the day?" he asked while he began to play with my messy hair.

"I need to go see Cami. She probably doesn't even know I'm back," I answered. Last night, I decided that I should go see her, regardless of whatever was going on with me and the curse. Elijah told me that Klaus had actually fed on her during his rampage so I knew that it must've traumatized her. Just add that to the never-ending list of reasons why I hated him.

"Niklaus requests my presence at the compound. Something about a prophecy," Elijah explained.

"Does the prophecy involve him moving far, far away?" I hoped, only half-joking.

"I'm afraid not," he sighed with a smile. "Be careful today. I don't want to lose you again."

"You won't," I promised and kissed him again.

We both got dressed and parted ways as he went to go deal with his brother and I went over to Cami's apartment. I don't know why, but I was nervous about seeing her. It had been almost four months since the last time I saw her. I just felt like a bad friend. I always wanted to protect her and be there for her. She had been alone all this time.

I knocked on the door and waited patiently for Cami to come answer. I heard heavier footsteps approaching before the door opened and Vincent was staring back at me.

Guess she hadn't been all alone.

"Addie," he greeted me with a smile. "Good to see you again."

"Addie?" Cami's surprised voice echoed through the room as she stood up from the table in her kitchen. She ran over to me, throwing her small arms around me, "Oh my God. What happened? When did you get back?"

"Yesterday," I explained, hugging her back. "It's a long story."

"Please, come inside," she opened the door wider and ushered me in. The three of us walked over to the table that was covered in dozens of crime scene photos and reports. I picked one up of a man that had his entire mouth slit open horizontally and held it up to them for an explanation.

"Me and Vincent have been trying to figure out who's been murdering the locals," she explained as she sat back down. "Every one of the victims has the same profile. Grew up rich, family comes from old money. Successful, educated, white males living a playboy lifestyle."

"So it is one guy? Not copycats," Vincent assumed.

"Not just any guy. Lucien. I'd bet my degree on it," Cami declared. "Which doesn't excuse your detective friend from stealing my laptop."

"Who's Lucien?" I asked as I sat down beside Vincent. I felt like I had missed so much.

"Apparently him and Klaus go way back," Cami explained.

"Wait, he's a vampire?" I guessed. If him and Klaus were friends, that meant Lucien probably had the same psychopathic tendencies as him. Which meant Cami was probably right and he was the one killing these people. Although it didn't make sense that he killed them without feeding on them. Most vampires didn't just kill random people on the street, especially not this well-thought out.