1.6 New

No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't stop thinking about Hayley and Klaus and the baby. Genevieve took Hayley and the last thing I heard about Klaus was that he and Marcel were fighting and the witches did some kind of spell on him that weakened him. And now Elijah had about a dozen werewolf bites and was wandering around the city looking for his brother and I was just going home. I knew I couldn't physically do anything, but these people were like my family now and I wasn't gonna be able to just go home and do nothing.

I walked for another few minutes, trying to keep an eye out both for Hayley and Klaus and the Guerrara werewolves that were around here somewhere. I had no doubt they would hurt me if they caught me alone so I was trying to avoid them. As I passed by St. Anne's church, I heard a tiny voice telling me to go inside. I took a deep breath and stopped walking forward, instead making me way into the dark church.

As soon as I stepped into the chapel, my eyes immediately focused on Klaus sitting at the front near the podium, with Hayley in his lap. I ran towards them, calling out their names, when I noticed that Hayley wasn't moving and there was a prominent slash mark across her throat. It felt like the wind had been knocked out of me and my steps faltered.

"No," I whispered, tears already starting to fill my eyes. Klaus' eyes found mine at the sound of my voice and I could see that he was crying as well. "What happened?" I demanded and slowly walked forward to where she was. I refused to believe that Hayley was dead. I then looked down at her no longer swollen belly and felt my chest tighten even more. The baby was gone.

Klaus shook his head quickly, his eyes beginning to fill with concern. "You're hurt," he noticed the bruising on my cheek from where Francesca had hit me and the dried blood in my hair from where I had hit the ground.

"I'm fine," I lied. This pain couldn't even begin to compare to the pain I felt for Hayley. I had only known her for a couple months, but I felt bonded to her in a way different from anyone else. I couldn't believe that she was dead. The guilt of not being able to save her from Genevieve and Francesca started to weigh down on me and I swallowed back even more tears.

The doors behind us were suddenly flung open and Elijah appeared inside the church. He looked even rougher now than he had when I left him not even ten minutes ago, and he limped inside towards the three of us. His wild eyes softened at the sight of Hayley's body and he shrunk down beside me, shaking his head in disbelief.

"You've been bitten," Klaus realized when he saw the marks on Elijah's neck. He bit into his wrist and offered it to Elijah, who took it without hesitation. Once he was finished, he and Elijah gently lifted her body up and set her on the altar. I moved to stand behind her head, gently stroking her dark hair while trying to contain my tears. I was praying that this was all a mistake and Hayley would wake up any second. This couldn't be real.

"How?" Elijah asked quietly after a few minutes of silence.

"I was bested," Nik answered guiltily.

"You were bested?" Elijah repeated, starting to grow angry as he walked away from Hayley and paced down the aisle. "You were bested! My invincible brother?"

Klaus slowly got to his feet from where he was sitting on the steps. "They took the baby, but there's still time. We can save her."

Elijah nodded, then looked at me. "Go home. I don't want the witches to come after you next."

"I'm staying with Hayley," I announced while shaking my head. "I don't want to leave her here." I know it sounded stupid, but I wanted to stay with her, at least until this was all over. Then we could bury her and honor her, in the right way.

"No, I'm not letting you—" Elijah argued.

"She'll be fine here. The witches have already gotten what they wanted," Klaus interrupted him, and I silently thanked him for having my side.