5.5 Family Quarrels

I smiled at Elijah from the bar as he played the piano with the band. St. James infirmary was packed tonight. I sipped on my fruity drink while looking around at the large crowd, all of them listening to the upbeat music.

A man slid onto the barstool next to me and flashed me a smile as he ordered a beer. I knew he wasn't a local from his rude demeanor towards the bartender. I pretended to look at the drink menu as I listened in to his conversation on the phone.

"The competition for that bullet's gonna be fierce. Lot of vamps saying he's theirs, but not if I get to him first. I've waited long enough for my shot at Klaus Mikaelson. If anyone's going to take him down, it's gonna be me," the man said into the phone before hanging up. He took his beer with him as he maneuvered his way through the crowd and out the door.

Elijah nodded at me and I quickly stood up, taking my drink with me. I purposely tripped over my own feet as I spilled my drink all over the two Strix standing at the end of the bar. "Oh my God, I am so sorry!" I blurted out as I knelt down to pick up my glass. They brushed the pink liquid off their coats with a scowl as I stood back up with a smile. Their faces immediately hardened as they realized who I was and pushed me out of the way in search of Elijah.

"No hard feelings, right?" I called after them. I set my now empty glass on the bar and followed after them into the cold night air. Down the street, I could hear Elijah's voice.

"Gentlemen," he greeted them. I appeared at his side, ready to take them down if we had to, but another pair of footsteps echoed behind us.

"Come on, Elijah, I thought we agreed," Marcel chimed as he emerged into view. "Addie dumping her drink was a nice touch. But you're the one who wanted to keep the Strix around for security. As long as we have a legion of Mikaelson enemies in town, how about you just let them do their job?"

Elijah slowly turned to face him. "You know, Marcel, I was just hoping that Adelaide and I could have a private night tonight."

"Well, as soon as they know you're safe and sound, they'll be more than happy to give you two all the time you want," Marcel assured him. "In the meantime, if you stayed put, maybe they could devote more of their energy to finding out who's got their hands on that missing white oak bullet."

I faked a smile and grabbed Elijah's arms. "Well, I think we can call it a night. See you boys bright and early tomorrow morning," I told them and led him forward. Marcel rolled his eyes but gave in and motioned for the men to follow him.

_______________

It had been three days since Klaus left with Hayley and Hope. The vibe was definitely off around the compound, especially with the Strix hanging around 24/7. I knew why they had to leave, but it didn't make it any easier that they were gone. And honestly, I was most pissed at Klaus for not saying goodbye. Hayley dropped in to let me know she was leaving after our whole little "incident" with the Strix and I gave Hope one of my old blankets from when I was little to keep her warm. Whenever Klaus got back, I was going to wring his neck.

I was sitting on the couch in the courtyard while reading one of Elijah's old journals when I heard a familiar voice across the room. "Gentlemen, I'm a family friend," Lucien told the two Strix members keeping guard at the door.

I rolled my eyes as I closed the journal and got up to walk over to him. "Ah, Addie. Would you mind telling your security team that I am a dear and beloved friend of the family?" He smiled at me.

"Oh, Lucien you know I can't lie," I smiled and nodded at the men to let him through. "What do you want?" I asked as he followed me further inside.

"The question isn't what I want, but whom. See, I've known the Mikaelsons for 1,000 years. But you, Addie, are a new variable and I can't help but find myself intrigued," Lucien answered and held up a bouquet of flowers. "Don't tell me you haven't felt the spark between us."