0.5 Sight for Sore Eyes

Two days later

I woke up to the sound of someone peddling around in my kitchen. I quietly got out of bed and grabbed the baseball bat that I had purchased after I was attacked by Agnes' witches and walked down the hall. I raised the bat, prepared to swing at the first thing I saw, but I quickly lowered it when I saw Nik pacing around the kitchen.

"Seriously. What is it with you and knocking?" I groaned at him and set the bat down. He didn't fire back a smart comment, which was unusual. "You're upset about something," I assumed, seeing the distressed look on his face.

"Wow, that was a hard one to figure out, wasn't it?" He snapped at me.

"Are you here just to yell at me? Because I'm really not in the mood," I grumbled.

"I need someone to talk to," Nik admitted, slowing to a stop. "My family has betrayed me."

If it's one thing I know about Nik, it's that he doesn't take betrayal lightly. Rebekah told me that he thought she betrayed him and daggered her for 90 years. No wonder he was so upset over something like this. He was as paranoid as it got.

Still, I sighed, "What happened?"

"They think that I only care about this baby because of my own personal gain. They accused me of wanting to use it as a way to create hybrids," he explained.

"Is it true?" I asked.

He turned his head to look at me, "Of course not. How am I supposed to take the city from Marcel if even my own siblings won't stand behind me?"

"Look, I've only heard horror stories about the first hybrids you made. You wanted an army. And now that your baby is potentially the key to creating more hybrids, I can understand why they'd be concerned," I pointed out.

In a second, Nik had dashed across the kitchen and was in my face. "I don't remember asking for your advice," he sneered.

My heart was beating so fast that I was sure it would come out my chest at some point, but I took a deep breath to keep my voice from shaking. "Out of everyone in New Orleans, you came to talk to me. I get it, you need someone to talk to. But if you think I'm just going to sit here and be one of your mindless minions, you've got the wrong girl," I snapped back at him. Wow, I was actually impressed with myself. I wasn't usually this outspoken, especially in front of a murderous psychopath.

Surprisingly, Nik backed off and wandered back to the other side of the kitchen. "I know you think they're out to get you, but have you ever thought of maybe talking things out like normal people?" I crossed my arms.

"It's too late for that. I bit Elijah," Nik confessed, almost guiltily.

My eyes widened in shock, "You bit him? Won't that—"

"No, it won't kill him. But he will be dealing with some nasty hallucinations for a couple of days until the venom works its way out his system," he answered.

"And you wonder why your siblings don't trust you!" I hissed at him. I didn't care if he got mad at me or not. "I swear Nik, you can't look past your ego for five seconds. You do realize this could've been avoided if you had just told the truth and swallowed your pride, right?"

"Why are you so quick to defend them? I've known you longer, I'm the one who's made sure you're safe," he defended himself in a hurt voice.

"I'm trying to make sure you don't tear your family apart, and I might as well do one good deed since I've been dragged into this mess. You're running out of friends in this city, and before you know it, I'll be the only one left," I informed him. I liked Nik, even with his bad temper and questionable decisions, but I wasn't going to just sit back and let him act like he was the victim in this.