0.2 New Faces

The next few days, I worked on getting the house fixed up. Cami went with me to buy new furniture and actually helped me paint and clean after we got done at Rousseau's. I was surprised to make a friend this quickly, but I liked being around Cami and she was good company. It was nice to have someone to talk to.

Nothing else strange happened, which is why I had resorted to the fact that I just made it up. I considered mentioning something about it to Cami, but I didn't want to freak her out and think I was completely crazy.

I had the day off, so I was painting the kitchen a pale blue when my phone started ringing. I carefully set down the wet brush on the tray and wiped my hands off on a towel before answering it. I didn't even have to look at the screen to know who was calling. After all, I only knew one person here.

"Hey, Cami, what's up?" I asked.

"Do you have a fancy dress?" She asked over the end. It was loud on the other end, which meant she was in the lunch rush, so I was kind of confused why she was calling me when she was so busy.

"Do you count an old cocktail dress that I wore in college?" I laughed.

"No. I met some girl today that invited me to this posh gala and she said I could bring someone so I was wondering if you wanted to come," Cami explained lightly.

I thought it over for a second. I wasn't really a gala person, and by that, I mean I've never actually been to a gala. But I didn't have anything else to do and it would be nice to spend some more time with Cami, outside of work. "Sure," I decided. "And since my trusty cocktail dress isn't appropriate, I'll go look somewhere downtown. Any suggestions?"

"Try Sullivan's, it's a few blocks down from Rousseau's," she answered, sounding happy that I had decided to go. "We can meet in front of the bar at 9, if that works with you?"

"Yea, that sounds good," I agreed.

"Wear something nice," were the last words I heard as she hung up. Well, at least this gave me an excuse to go out and buy a nice dress since I didn't have one.

I cleaned off the paint brush I was using and put it on the counter to dry. I grabbed my bag that was hanging by the door and locked it behind me as I headed further into the city. It was 4 now, so I had some time to look for a dress before I had to get ready.

I walked my normal way to Rousseau's, then kept walking until I found Sullivan's. It was a quite little boutique, but it was surprisingly busy. I went over to the rack that looked the least outrageous and grabbed the first few dresses that were decent. I snuck into one of the fitting rooms and hung them up as I changed into the first one. It was a long lace white dress, which was pretty but it reminded me of a wedding dress and I had a feeling I'd be a little overdressed so I swapped it out for the next one.

This one was black instead, and looked like a cupcake from all the tool that puffed out from it. Hard pass. The next two were okay, but it didn't really stand out to me and if I was going to pay this much for a dress, I had to be in love with it. I didn't even know what to wear to a gala. I mean, could you even be over the top? Was that a thing?

The last dress was a pretty deep red that was made out of silk and made my boobs look good, which wasn't the only reason I liked it but it made me like it a lot more. And it was comfortable, so that was a plus. I changed back into my regular clothes and took all the other dresses back to the rack before buying the dress. They had shoes and jewelry in here, too, but I had a pair of nude heels I could wear at home and my mom had tons of old jewelry that I could pick from. I thanked the lady that helped me and walked out, satisfied that I had found something I actually liked.