5.1 Box of Pine

The next morning came with even worse news: Aurora was the one who had the white oak. Aurora was probably the last person I wanted to have the white oak right now. I wasn't sure who she'd go for first, Klaus or Elijah. She hated Klaus because he favored Cami and she hated Elijah because he compelled her to forget Klaus all those years ago. At least we knew Rebekah was safe, wherever she was.

A few days had passed since we lost the white oak, and we still hadn't made any progress in finding it. I wrapped a cardigan around my body as I followed Elijah and Freya out of the study and onto the balcony, where Klaus was dangling the police chief over the edge.

Freya sighed, "I see we're in for another normal Mikaelson breakfast."

"Niklaus, for heaven's sake, release the poor creature," Elijah demanded.

Klaus smiled and shrugged before dropping the man into the courtyard below. I sighed in relief once I heard that the chief was still alive as Elijah rolled his eyes, "That's not what I meant."

"He'll live," Klaus assured him and walked through us into the room. "And he'll remember to do better."

"Is all this torture necessary?" Freya wondered.

I heard footsteps approaching us from the other side of the room as Marcel came into view. "Where have you been?" Klaus asked him as he poured himself some more tea. He was pretty casual right now considering Aurora was out there somewhere planning all of our deaths.

"I was making sure that the Strix and their witches were out trying to find your loony ex-girlfriend. Is that okay by you?" Marcel answered sarcastically.

"Gentlemen, please," Elijah interrupted them.

"All of our heads are on the chopping block because he lost the one thing that can kill an Original," Marcel pointed at Klaus.

Freya shook her head, "It's not his fault that Cami was waiving the white oak around like a kite, or that Aurora made a deal with one of your witches."

"Oh, yeah it is," Marcel corrected her.

"I'm quite capable of defending myself, thank you, Freya," Klaus told his sister. "What I cannot do is cast a spell to find Aurora. In that respect, we're alike."

"Aurora is cloaked, most likely by the very witch she killed," Freya explained. "I have been working nonstop, every day."

"Well, you've stopped now, haven't you?" Klaus pointed out. "Well, go on. On your way."

Freya recoiled at his harsh words. "Do you talk to our other sister like this? Didn't think so." She grabbed her coat and hastily left the room.

Klaus noticed us all staring at him and he threw his arms up in defense, "What?"

"I get that you're stressed, but being a dick to the rest of us isn't going to solve anything," I snapped at Klaus.

Klaus scowled at me but didn't respond. Elijah took a deep breath and looked at Marcel, "What do we know about this traitor in the Strix coven?"

"Nothing. No one knows how Aurora got to her, no one knows where Aurora is," Marcel answered. "Our coven hit the same cloaking spell as Freya."

Klaus scoffed, "Your coven? Making yourself quite comfortable with the Strix, aren't you?"

"Yeah, yeah, to help you," Marcel reminded him and headed for the door.

Klaus quickly grabbed his arm to stop him. "Any other news from your new BFFs you'd like to make us aware of?"

"Niklaus, why don't we reserve any malevolent intentions for ex-girlfriends?" Elijah suggested, trying to ease the tension.

Marcel shook loose Klaus's grip before leaving the room. I looked at the two brothers, "I'm going to check on your sister. Try not to kill anyone."