5.4 Old Enemies

Elijah was off for the next few days. He told me that he was the one who killed Aya. He couldn't let her live after what she did to them. I was thrilled that she was dead, but I knew that she was one of Elijah's first loves and this was hard for him. He was mainly quiet and kept to himself so I decided to just give him his time to mourn.

Me being by myself for the most part gave me time to think about the coven house. It felt so familiar to me I just couldn't seem to figure it out. It was like I had been there before but I had no recollection of it. I probably should've mentioned it to Elijah or Klaus, but they were dealing with so much more that I figured my bad memory could wait a while.

I woke up again to an empty bed and got dressed once I heard the others together down the hall. When I walked into the study, there was a box of letters on the table in front of Klaus, Elijah, and Freya. They all picked up their heads when they heard me enter but soon went back to their previous conversation.

"You collect trophies from all your victims?" Freya asked Klaus.

"Letters to their loved ones, to be specific," Elijah corrected her.

"It was a phase," Klaus mumbled while looking at a letter.

"A phase in which we were forced to learn a different kind of stealth. You see, over time, Niklaus's enemies grew so numerous we had no choice but to artfully withdraw from the world. And then..." Elijah's eyes became distant. "Well, I wouldn't describe our presence in this city as discreet, wouldn't you agree, Niklaus?"

"We all saw the white oak destroyed. Plus, this city was crawling with vampires, all of whom had no choice but to shield me from potential foes. Were I to die, they would die too. I couldn't have been more safe. And now my sire link is undone. Those very foes will come for me, like never before," Klaus explained in a stressed voice.

"It's only been a few days since the link was broken. Must you jump into crippling paranoia already?" Freya sighed at her brother.

"That's a default setting," Elijah answered to himself.

"And with good reason," Klaus defended himself.

"Well, Niklaus, if it offers you any solace whatsoever, we've ransacked Aya's belongings, torched Aurora's hunting ground, and obliterated every last splinter of the white oak," Elijah pointed out as he stood up.

Klaus shook his head, "I would be mad to believe that."

"Perhaps you should see a therapist," Elijah suggested.

Klaus scowled at him before storming out of the room. Freya cleared her throat once he was gone, "Every last splinter? You sure?"

Elijah pursed his lips together as an answer before following his brother out. "And then there were two," Freya mumbled as she went to pour herself a drink.

"I'm worried about him," I spoke up. "Both of them actually. They haven't been the same since that night."

"Well, Elijah was forced to kill the woman he used to love and Klaus lost his entire sire line. I don't blame them," Freya shrugged.

I looked out the window as I shook my head, "I just wish I could help them."

"I'm not sure there's anything else we can do except wait for the storm to pass," she sighed.

"Until another storm comes," I said quietly. An idea popped into my head as I walked towards the door, "I can't just sit here." I grabbed my coat as I passed my room and quickly left the compound. Right as I stepped out onto the street, my phone buzzed with a location pinned to a message.