4.2 Spirit

I woke up the next day in another empty bed. I rolled over in worry and grabbed my phone, hoping to see a message from Elijah. The last thing I heard from him was that he was still with Klaus last night. Elijah told me that he was the one who compelled Aurora to leave Klaus behind. If Klaus found out, who knows what he would have done.

I quickly changed and headed to the compound. The courtyard was a mess. Furniture was thrown everywhere and glass littered the ground. Wow, they really made a mess out of everything.

I used my hearing to locate them and found them sitting in the dining room. Their clothes were tattered and bloodied but they both looked calm considering their appearances. I noticed a bite on Elijah's arm as Klaus was emptying some of his blood into a glass for him.

"What the hell happened?" I demanded.

"We had a little chat about the past," Klaus answered simply.

"I politely informed Niklaus that I'm not his enemy. And though they entered the city under the guise of peace, Tristan and Lucien, in truth, are allied against us, a fact that required a little bit of gentle persuasion," Elijah spoke up.

"And so I reminded my brother who angered them in the first place," Klaus continued and glanced at Elijah sarcastically.

"So?" I crossed my arms, waiting for the rest of it.

"We expose and destroy our first-sired," Elijah explained calmly.

"Couldn't agree with you more," Klaus slid the glass of his blood to Elijah. "You see, gentlemen know when it's time to call a truce and turn our fury in a more pertinent direction."

"Well, I'm glad that it took you destroying the entire place to come to that conclusion," I sighed. "I hope you guys haven't called dibs because I want Lucien. He's been messing with Cami."

"You'll have to fight me for him," Klaus smirked.

"Great. I get to kill two birds with one stone. Beating you up and killing Lucien," I smiled, Elijah laughing at my remark.

Klaus rolled his eyes, "Oh, Addie, when are you going to get over your hatred for me?"

"You turned me and my pack into werewolves for three months, during which that time most of them were maimed and killed. It's going to take a lot more than a sorry ass apology for me to even consider trusting you again," I reminded him.

Klaus stood up and sauntered past me. "You see, I think you're already starting to warm up to me again. A couple weeks ago you would've never held a conversation with me this long without throwing out a string of insults. Before you know it, we'll be the best of friends again," he pointed out before leaving the room.

"Still hate you!" I called after him.

Elijah shook his head at his brother and lead me upstairs where I waited in our old room while he took a shower. I heard a knock on the door and turned around to see Freya standing in the doorway with a guilty smile on her face.

"What's up?" I asked her as I stood up.

"Just wondering what the hell happened to the house," Freya sighed.

"Another brotherly dispute," I explained.

Freya nodded, "Of course. I just got done visiting Rebekah. I was trying to ask her advice on how to keep this family together."

"I've learned that it's best to stay out of it," I answered.

"I'm starting to realize that," Freya agreed as she walked over to the terrace. "She said she misses you. Misses being home."