3.0 Family Issues

The next day, Elijah was gone again and left behind another note that said he had family business to take care of. I rolled my eyes at his note and threw it in the trash with his others as I reached for my phone. I dialed his number as I climbed from bed and looked through my drawers for something to wear. It was weird living in my old house again after living at the compound for so long. I loved it here, but I honestly missed being surrounded by everyone. Now that Elijah was gone all the time, I was lonely.

The call went straight to voicemail and I made sure to tone down the annoyance in my voice before speaking. "I know you're busy with your new sister but I would enjoy it if every once and a while I could wake up to see your face. Call me," I sighed before hanging up and setting my phone down. I grabbed a white shirt with a black leather jacket and black jeans and quickly changed. I didn't have any plans for the day, and I had hoped to spend it with Elijah but he was otherwise occupied so I had to find another way to spend my time.

There was a knock on my door and I grabbed my phone before going to see who it was. Hayley was looking in through the glass on the side of the door and she smiled when I pulled it open. "I would've just came in but..." She said and tried to walk inside but her foot tapped against the invisible barrier.

"Yeah, I put the deed in Cami's name so random vampires couldn't just walk in here," I answered. "Is everything okay? I haven't seen you since the wedding."

"I came to see if you were up for a trip to the Bayou," she asked with a smile. "Jack and I thought you could come meet the rest of the pack, if you want."

I hesitated and bit my lip, trying to come up with an excuse. I was nervous about meeting everyone. It's not that I didn't want to talk to them, I just didn't know how to talk to these people. I knew that these were my people now, and they all looked up to me. I was just afraid I was going to be a bad leader for them and end up getting them all killed. It was easier when I lived at the compound and didn't have to see them for a long period of time.

But, like I said, these were my people now. I made a vow to lead them and honor them and I couldn't go back on that. I had to be the best person I could be for them.

I smiled and nodded, "Sounds great."

___________________

When Hayley and I got there, I was surprised to see that all the wolves were either sparring with each other or watching the others. Aiden and Jackson were fighting against each other near the cabin, and we got out of the car just in time to see Aiden bite Jackson on the forearm. I looked at Hayley for an explanation but she just shook her head in confusion as we walked towards them. I wasn't used to them biting each other like that. It didn't seem all that friendly to me.

"We were loyal to you, Jackson. And now you want us to take orders from some girl we barely know?" Aiden asked him while shaking his head. I immediately knew he was talking about me, and I slowed my pace so I could hear whatever else he had to say.

"She's an Alpha, the Alpha. She knows what she's doing," Jackson reminded him.

"Does she? She probably doesn't even know half these guys' names. She doesn't have what it takes to be an Alpha," Aiden snapped.

His words stung, but I pushed down the anger I felt and cleared my throat to get their attention. Both he and Jackson spun around, and Aiden's face paled at the sight of me. I raised my eyebrows at him, "Something to say?"

"No, he's just blowing off some steam," Jackson lied and looked at Aiden for him to agree, but Aiden just shook his head.

"Yeah, I do have something to say. We lost one of our guys yesterday because of your boyfriend's family. What do you plan to do about that?" He crossed his arms and waited for an answer.