4.7 Adjustments

I didn't sleep the next night. I couldn't stop thinking about Cami and Jackson. Two of my closest friends killed within one day. No matter how exhausted I was from all the wolfsbane in my system, I couldn't sit still. I moved between the bed and the balcony before I finally got dressed and walked downstairs. I ended up running into Cami in the kitchen, who was finishing off a blood bag. I shook my head at her, "What are you doing?"

"I was hungry," she shrugged and tossed aside the empty bag. "It's like I can't get enough of this stuff."

"Wait until you try the real thing," I told her.

Her eyes lit up. "Great idea," she smirked and walked towards the door. "You coming?"

I hesitated, but realized I didn't have anything else to do. "What the hell," I sighed and followed her out. I assumed we'd go somewhere fun, but we walked a short distance to Rousseau's. There was a live band here and a lot of a people considering it was the middle of the day. I raised my eyebrow at Cami in confusion but she just shrugged and led us to the bar.

One of the bartenders, Krista, who replaced Cami smiled at us. "Wow, girls. You look amazing!"

"You know, I feel amazing," Cami beamed.

A man stepped beside me and called for Krista's attention. "Four tequila shots, stat. And don't be afraid to move that sweet ass," he said.

Krista rolled her eyes and went to begin his order. I shook my head at his disgusting attitude as Cami glared at him. "Real nice. She works hard, you know," she snapped.

"Oh yeah? How about you gorgeous? You work hard, too?" He asked Cami and looked over at me. "What about you?"

"I'm not your type," I assured him.

Cami put on a dazzling smile and stepped around me to get in his face. "You know what? It's hard work resisting the urge to rip your throat out with my teeth," she whispered and began to compel him. "You're gonna find an ATM and you're going to max out your daily limit and leave that nice, underpaid bartender the biggest tip she's ever seen. And then you're going to meet me out back in the alley so we can have some real fun. And turn your hat around. You're an adult."

The man stared at her in confusion but slowly turned his hat around and left the bar. I turned to Cami, "Was that really necessary?"

"No, but it was fun," she shrugged.

Krista walked over and handed us each a drink. "These are for you. From the guy at the end of the bar. He was pretty insistent," she told us before walking away.

We both looked across the bar to see Klaus smiling back at us. He slid out of his seat and made his way over to us. "Why don't we take this party to a booth?" He suggested.

I picked up my drink and downed it, barely wincing at the burning sensation in my throat. Whiskey really did nothing to me after being stabbed and poisoned so many times. We reluctantly followed him to a booth, where Klaus compelled some poor couple to give it up so we could sit down.

"Thank you for the drink," Cami said, breaking the awkward silence between us.

"Well, you seem rather thirsty," Klaus lied. "You would have torn him apart. Whether you meant to or not. Probably doing the world a favor in the process but—"

"I'm a vampire now, Klaus. Isn't that what we do? We hunt, we feed, we kill—" Cami reminded him.

"We might want to keep our voices down, just a little bit," Klaus warned her.

Cami narrowed her eyes at him, "Why? Can't we just compel anyone to do anything we want? Isn't that what you do all the time?"

"What I do and what you do are not the same thing," Klaus snapped. "Now, I know our little chats may have you feeling like you're quite the expert, but you're not equipped to live in this world."