2.5 Challenges

Elijah's arm was wrapped around my waist and I was snuggled into his chest as I opened my eyes the next morning. The memory of last night replayed over and over in my head and I smiled at the thought of it as I rested my head against him. Things felt so different for us now. I felt more connected to him. He was finally able to be himself around me and not worry about being too rough and hurting me. We could finally let loose.

"Good morning," he spoke in a raspy voice, his chest vibrating at his words.

I picked my head up to look at him with a smile, "Good morning."

"As much as I want to stay in bed with you all day, we should get dressed before they get here," he sighed as he slowly traced circles on my bare back.

"Who?" I lifted my eyebrows.

"Niklaus is bringing Camille. Finn escaped last night and he's worried she'll be a target," he answered with a sigh. "She'll be safer here, with us."

I nodded but stayed quiet. I was glad she was coming because I hadn't seen her in a while and it sounded like we had a lot to catch up on. But I was a hybrid now. I would never hurt her, but I knew it was going to be a struggle being around her. It was just vampires here with me so I didn't have as strong of a craving. I couldn't imagine being in the same house with her. I just had to suck it up and remind myself that this was my best friend.

"You'll be fine," Elijah assured me as he read my thoughts and kissed my forehead.

I told myself he was right as I got out of bed and got dressed. Elijah did the same and the two of us walked into the kitchen, where Hayley was feeding Hope. I smiled at the little child and walked over to grasp her tiny hand as Elijah walked to the fridge.

"It sounded like you two had quite the night," Hayley confessed and smirked at us.

I felt myself begin to blush and looked at the ground. Totally forgot she had supernatural hearing, too. I knew it didn't bother her. I just hoped we didn't wake Hope up.

Elijah grabbed a blood bag out the fridge and handed it to me. "Here, you need to feed before they get here. It'll help with your cravings."

I nodded and tore off the plastic cap as I began to drink it. I welcomed the pleasant feeling that came with it and within a few seconds I was finished. Hopefully that would hold me over enough so I could get through the day with Cami.

The sound of a car pulling up outside interrupted my thoughts and I looked out the kitchen window to see Klaus and Cami hopping out. I could hear them talking as the three of us walked outside and Cami's eyes widened at the sight of baby Hope. She shook her head in disbelief, "But... you said... I thought she was..."

"The only way to truly protect her was to convince the world of her death," Klaus admitted. "I hope you understand. Once it's safe for you to leave here, our secret cannot leave with you."

Cami nodded and walked up the steps to meet Hope. I could feel her eyes move to me and Elijah's hand rested reassuringly on my lower back. I was trying to hold my breath, but I could smell her blood the second she got here. It was intoxicating. This must've been how it was for Elijah. I didn't know how he could stand it.

"We'll give you guys some time to catch up," Klaus realized that this was the first time we had seen each other since my transition and he ushered Elijah and Hayley inside.

Cami surprised me with a hug, and I stiffened at her touch before eventually returning the favor. I made sure to squeeze lightly so I wouldn't crush her and held my breath as my nose neared her neck. I was not going to let this part of myself ruin our friendship. We were stronger than that.