Chapter 39 - Let's be strangers, again

Can we start over?
Can we be strangers again?
Let me introduce myself.
We can laugh and talk
And relearn what we already used to know.
And maybe come up with new inside jokes.
And create new memories.
New experiences.
New feelings for each other.
And also...
Maybe give each other
A second chance...

Akira's P.O.V.

"I shall serve you from now on, Yatogami." As I looked up, I felt how my chest clenched. "Y... Yatogami...?"

He was crying. Tears were flowing out of his widened eyes as he gulped. He softly parted his lips. "Hey... This is a joke... Right...?" In my own surprise I wasn't able to answer. "Stop... Stop fooling around with me... Will you...?"

The feeling that grew inside of me was indescribable... My breath was shaking. My heart was pounding. My lips were almost unable to move.

"Why... Would I fool you, Yatoga--" "Stop calling me like that, Akira! You... You act as if we don't know each other... Stop it!"

It was unbearable.

He covered his eyes with his hand, trying to calm himself down. "But I..." I stepped closer, softly putting my hand on his shoulders. "I really don't know you at all..."

And then it felt as if it hit me.

Yato's P.O.V.

I felt a hand on my shoulder. So warm that it even reached from my jersey to my skin, letting me shudder. I looked up.

It was Akira's warmth, that left me there in agony.

I looked into her eyes. "Akira..." I was unable to stop the tears from falling. How idiotic was that even? How idiotic was it to cry, as a god?

It was her warmth, that comforted me. But yet...

I glanced at her. She transformed back into her human-like form, leaving her in a white Kimono. Her gaze felt familiar, yet totally strange. Her worried expression was the same I saw so may times before, yet it was different. Her voice was the same soft voice, I loved to hear, back then. Yet, it was so unfamiliar.

...It isn't the warmth of the same girl I used to know.

I put on a sad smile. "I'm such a fool... Am I...?" She didn't answer. I layed my hand on her head and ruffled her hair, softly. "Sorry..." Her eyes widened as I said that. I took off my jersey and softly layed it on my shoulder.

I couldn't help myself but pull her closer and lay my forehead against hers. "Please forgive me... Akira..."

Akira's P.O.V.

As he turned around my vision blurred, due the liquid that was slowly coming up in them. "Let's do our best for the future, Akira..." He walked ahead. But I just stood still.

It's as if I came back to my senses.

A tear rolled down my cheek as our distances grew. I slowly followed him.

As if everything suddendly doesn't feel wrong anymore.

The air was cold. I wrapped the jersey around myself even thighter. I felt the sensation of an almost unreal comfort and warmth. The scent that was lingering in the jacket felt so familiar... But yet... It hurt the more I thought about it.

But somehow... I feel like I forgot something...

I looked up to the back of his head, trying to stay calm. But it didn't work at all. It just let me feel even more of this undesireable dispair. My lips formed, quietly whispering a name.

"Yato..."

But I don't want to remember at all.