Chapter 10 - Servants of gods

"Let me be it..."

"Huh?"

"Let me be your hero."

I woke up and rubbed my eyes. "Was yesterday only a dream...?" "Yesterday? No, seems not like it." I sat up in surprise. "Y-Yato?!" Yato was sitting on the chair at my desk. "How did you come in here?" He sighed and pointed at the open window. "You should be more careful. You could catch a co-" "Hatchu!!" "Ah... Nevermind... So now that you're up... Let's go out and meet Yukine and Hiyori! I been waiting for like three hours!" "Wait... You know you could have just wake me up...?" "Yeah, but you looked so... Peaceful." He turned his head away as he said that. Was he blushing...? I just sighed.

"I'll dress up. Wait for me, outside." "Uh... Okay! Well, see you in a few seconds!" I nodded as he jumped of the window. I walked towards my wardrobe. "So after all it wasn't a dream..." I dressed up and went out of the house to meet Yato. We started walking. It was silent. I looked up to the sky.

Cloudy...

Finally we saw Hiyori and Yukine. Hiyori was waving at us. I waved back. "Good morning, Akira-chan!" "Good... Good morning, Hiyori and Yukine." Yukine replied with a simple "Morning..." "So... Are there any plans for today...?", I asked since it was getting kinda awkward. "Yeah. I have to work today.", Yukine answered. "Wait... You're working? How old are you?"

He didn't answer. But Hiyori did. "He's supposed to be fourteen..." "I see... So, were is that place you're working in?" "You'll see."

We headed off and stopped in front of a traditional japanese-like house. Suddendly a girl with pink short hair came out of a door. "Yukki! Hiyorin! Yato-chan!" She ran towards us and jumped on Hiyori, Yato and Yukine. Then she saw me. Suddendly her whole expression changed. She let go of the three. Hiyori sighed and stood up. She patted the dirt of her clothes. "Kofuku-san. This is Akira Kamitsuka." The girl's name seemed to be Kofuku. I held my hand out. "Nice... Nice to meet you." But she didn't answer. Instead of, I could hear her murmur something.

"Aya-san... Is that you?" Aya-san...? I asked myself who she meant. "No... It can't be... Aya-san died...!" "Ah... Sorry, Kofuku-san. I am not... Aya-san." She touched my face with the tips of her fingers and fell on her knees. I noticed that she cried. "Aya-san..."

Hiyori grabbed her shoulder. "Kofuku-san... Are you okay?" Suddendly a man appeared. He ran towards Yato and rubbed his knuckles against Yato's temples. "Don't you dare making my goddess cry!!" "Aaahhh! It wasn't me, I swear!!" The man let go and went to Kofuku. "Are you okay?" "Daikoku..." He helped her up and then looked at me. His eyes widened. "Aya-sama... Is that you...?"

I sighed. "Excuse me, but... I am not this Aya..." "Really? You look excactly like her!" I looked to Yato and Yukine. Yukine just looked at me with a wondering expression while Yato held his chin between hin index finger and his thumb. He seemed to think about something.

Then he stepped closer. And looked into my face. "Hm... I already noticed that they were similiar but I was not quite sure..." That man looked to Yato. "Yato. Who is this girl?" "Uh... She's one of my customers. Akira Kamitsuka was the name, right?" I nodded. The man held Kofuku in his arms. "My goddess... That isn't Aya-sama. Please calm down." Then he looked up to the others and me. "Let's go inside." He looked up to the sky. "It soon will start to rain." Hiyori seemed to be worried. I walked beside her as we walked inside.

"Please... Sit down at the table. I'll make some tea." He went and left Kofuku, Yukine, Hiyori, Yato and me alone in the room. I sat between Hiyori and Yukine, while Yato sat right beside Hiyori. "Hey, Yato...", Hiyori whispered to him. "What is it?" Hiyori looked to Kofuku. She just sat there silently. Then Hiyori looked back. "Don't you think that Kofuku-san acts weird?"  Yato nodded. "It's been a while ever since she acted like this." "She acted like this, before?!" Yato nodded. "That was when Aya passed away, though..."

Yukine then also started whispering. "Who is this Aya anyways? Does she really looks that similiar to Akira?" Yato looked into my face. "It's been a while since I last saw her, but... Yeah. I do believe that Akira looks pretty much like her."

I thought about it for a while. "Aya... That's the same name as my mother..." Suddendly there was the sound of crashing porcelain. I looked up. It was that guy before that said he would bring some tea. He let the cups of tea fall. Hiyori looked up to him.

"Uh... Daikoku-san. Are you okay?" He looked at me with big eyes. "Did... Did you say mother?" "Y-Yeah." I nodded. Kofuku opened her mouth. "So the rumor was true..." "Rumor?" "Aya-san had a child with a human before she died... And that child is you..."

"Me? Wait... I... I don't even know your names! And now you're telling me weird stuff!" "Ah... We're truly sorry! We will introduce ourselves immediately! But please let me first clean the mess I've done..." He scratched the back of his head. "I just was so surprised that I didn't even notice that I let it fall..."

After he was done he sat beside the pink-haired girl. "My godess is Kofuku Ebisu. And I am Daikoku. Her regalia." "Her what...?" Daikoku sighed. "Yato... Have you told her?" "Told her what?" "Ah, whatever... Let me explain... You can see phantoms, right?" "Phantoms...? I... think so..." "Well then..." he pointed at Kofuku.

"As an example. This is my goddess. I say my goddess, because I'm her Regalia. A Regalia is something like a sacred weapon that gods carries around. We may be weapons but we also can turn into humans. Our names are given from our gods. We can fight those phantoms. Do you understand so far?"

"Uh... I'm not sure if I can believe this... But since I can see this pantoms or how you call them... I'll believe you..." "Good. Now that we introduced ourselves... Your name is Akira, right?" I nodded. "Are you aware of what your mother was?" I didn't answer. "No... All I know is that the passed away when I was young..." "Just as I thought..." He sighed.

"Akira. Do you want me to tell you?" I stayed silent but the nodded. "Aya-sama... Your mother... She was a Yokai. In other words she was a spirit." "A... Spirit...?" "Ah... how should I put it in words... Not really spirit. More like... Demon... But that's not excactly the word that I'm looking for..." "A demon?! You mean like one of those phantoms?" "Uh... No. You can imagine her as... Human with fox ears and tails, with inhuman power. Maybe almost a god, but not excactly. That's what she was... A Yokai." "Hm... Okay I think... I understand..." "Good. Can I continue?" I nodded. "Yokai are servants of gods. But they're different from Regalias. They're not bound on a strict contract to their god, as we Regalias are. Youkai can transform into normal humans and have a private life. As soon as their god summons them, they have to serve." "And my mother... Was one of those Yokai...?"

Daikoku nodded. Yato continued. "She wasn't only a simple Yokai. She was one of the royalities in the Yokai-world. She was a princess." Kofuku opened her mouth. "She was a really good friend of mine... But... She died in a battle..."

It remained silent.

"So... My mother was a Yokai... And also a princess?" Nobody said a word. I stood up. Hiyori looked up. "Akira-chan...?" "Sorry, but... Am I really supposed to believe this?" "Akira... I know it's hard to understand bu-" "You're making fun of me, right?" Yato gasped. "Why should we?" I didn't say a word. A tear rolled down my cheek. "My... My mother was a normal woman! She died after she recovered from giving birth to me. She had to take the train to work which had an accident!"

Daikoku looked into my eyes. "I do not force you to believe it. You have the choice. Believe the truth or accept the lies that were told to you." I stared at the ground. "Who...? Who was it who killed my mother?" Kofuku took a deep breath. "There are a lot of rumours. Some say that she was killed by other Yokai. Some said she was killed by a god. It still isn't sure who or what it actually was." "I see... But... If my mother had inhuman powers... Doesn't that mean that I also got some?" "That's true." I looked to Yato. "Remember yesterday as you let that phantom dissapear?" "Huh? I remember how I heard mother's voice once... She told me to do that." "That's right. Only she knew this technique. And since you're able to use them, you truly are her daughter." "I see..."

I opened the door. "Akira. Where are you going?", Yukine asked. "Getting some fresh air. I need some time to progress." He was about to stand up. "I'll come with yo-" Yato pulled him back. "Yukine... She will be okay. Leave her alone for a while." Yukine stared at Yato for a minute but then sat down again. "I see..."