Chapter 50 - I want you to be happy!

I swear, you're the only reason I keep breathing... Because you keep on giving me the reason to keep believing.

----------------------------------------------

"What are you planning to do?"

What, indeed...
He was here. Death was here. "You know what I want." Yato's eyes widened. "Akira, you mustn't--" He suddendly started coughing. It was painful just watching him in such a state.

"I want him to live." I could hear loud laughter.

"So you call out for me and tell me that you want him to live. Sure, why not just what would you sacrifice for his life? Think about it. He is a god. He can be reborn, anytime. It doesn't matter wether he dies now or tomorrow."

"It does... It does matter!!" I clenched my fists. "I don't want him to wake up and suddendly realize that he doesn't know anything about his past-life... I don't want him to be another person from how he is, now... I want him to be the same! I want him to stay as he is right now!! Because I think that I would not be able to bear it, if he forgot everything... If he forgot who he really was and who he was to me...!"

If he were to lose his memories... There would always be that little hope in me...

For a while it was quiet.

That little hope... That you suddendly remember one day and realize who you were to be.

"You're like your mother... Just as foolish and lightheaded as she was. Just as troublesome."

But if your memories wouldn't return... I would have to try to bring them back to you.

I smiled. "Yeah. I am troublesome."

Bringing all these memories back to you... Would just be like a barren place. Reaching out for that goal would be a journey.

"Then... In order to keep him alive... You will just have to sacrifice one thing."

I was shaking. What was it? My soul? My life? Anything would be fine... Anything as long as I can keep Yato alive... As long as he can stay the same person, he is right now...

A journey for which I don't have a map for.

"Your immortality. Your ability as a Yokai."

I didn't know how to react. If I should be sad. If I should cry. If I should be happy that I expected worse. If I should get angry about the fact that I wouldn't be able to stay by Yato's side as a Yokai to protect him...

I gazed at Yato. He was breathing heavily. "Akira... Don't..."

But in the end... If I became a mere human it would mean that I would be able to live without Yato being in danger whenever I am... It would mean that I can go back to those days in which Yukine, Hiyori, Yato and I were together. Everything... Would be fine again, but...

"Humans are reborn, too, you have to know."

My eyes widened as soon as I heard that sentence.

"It may take decades or centuries... Even millenniums... But they will be reborn. Someday."

I bit on my lip for a while. "Why are you telling me this?" Death just laughed.

"Why? I don't know. Maybe because I am a little bit envious of you... You are alive. You have a life. Unlike me, who only takes everything and everyone away and only leaves fading memories and untold desires..."

I didn't know how to answer that. Maybe it was just my imagination, but... He sounded sad...

I stood up. "Fine. You can take my immortality."